1980 XS650 Alternator/Stator Wiring Questions

Whickerbook

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased this 1980 XS650 with little to know information on it. I recently noticed, the wiring on it is....strange.

Let me state, I am in the beginning stages of wiring. I've gone through all the threads on alternator/stator, looked over 20 wiring guides, clicked the tech tab up top and read all the wiring articles. I've been reading and learning everything I can from youtube videos, this site, and others.

Looking at all the wiring diagrams, coming from the alternator, it shows to cap off yellow, split brown, connect 3 white, connect green. However, I have a red wire coming from the alternator as well. They had the red wire coming from the alternator directly to pos+ battery?

Question 1: Do I cap off the red wire from the alternator or splice it with the rec/reg red to battery?

Question 2: I've read that any stator after 1980+ needs the 3 nylon screws? However this looks relatively new, but no nylon screws?

Question 3: And the 3 wires coming directly from the brushes are directly wired into the Ignition unit?

I'm terribly sorry if this is any easy well documented fix. I feel like I've exhausted all websites/guides.
On a side note, the first diagram, I have a battery and a capacitor that isn't included.

Please let me know if there are any more details I can supply? I appreciate anyone's advice or knowledge as I'm at a standstill...

IMG_2137.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
IMG_2138.jpg
[/url][/IMG] xs650-1.jpg Enlarged View of Alternator - Rectifier Wiring Diagram.png IMG_2139.JPG IMG_2138.JPG IMG_2139.JPG

The yellow wire from the alternator normally goes to the Safety Relay. There is no red wire coming from the alternator in normal stock wiring. The only red wire goes from the rec/reg unit to the ignition switch and to the main fuse. I have no idea why they had a red wire from the alternator going to the battery.

You do not use nylon screws when using a stock 1980 alternator and a stock rec/reg unit.

The 3 wires that you have in your hand (black, orange and gray) are not coming from the brushes. They are coming from the pick-up coil, and yes they run to the TCI black box.

If your bike is mostly stock, you should be looking at a Yamaha wiring diagram such as are shown in the Haynes manual. The TECH section on this site has wiring diagrams. Quite a few diagrams that float around on the web have been modified for special purposes and are not necessarily accurate.

That diagram has been altered for a PMA and Pamco INXS altered it without writing the parts into the diagram.

Here is the same diagram showing the Factory Charging system and Factory Ignition
1981simplifiedwiring m.jpg

Follow the diagram that skull just posted and the BROWN WIRE sometimes looks RED (you need the BROWN WIRE) .The yellow is the only wire you should cap. The bottom half of skull's diagram is what you have just looks like someone cut off the factory plugs. This bike has two bundles of wires off the alternator. Larger number of wires are for REG/REC and the smaller group (3 wires) are for the TCI BOX (black box)
Have any questions my email is DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM and you can contact me and I will supply my number if you need one on one help.
Looks good and a hell yeah for trying
Rich

A lot of diagrams show the yellow wire capped off. Since you may be new to XS650 bike wiring, I want to stress that capping the yellow is not the preferred or stock way of doing things. I don't know how badly your bike wiring has been hacked up by PO's, or if it still has a Safety Relay. If it has a Safety Relay, the yellow wire should run from the alternator to the SR coil. When the alternator starts to produce voltage, the voltage on the yellow wire operates the SR, which then turns on the headlight, and disconnects the power to the starter motor circuit.

Back