1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

1980 XS650 Brat/ Bobber/ Chopper/ Who Knows? Build

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by B_Crabaugh, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Definitely replace the camchain. Scuff marks, looks like it bowed to the side where the link pulled free. Check everything in the camchain tunnel, including the crescent hollow above the cam sprocket, for whatever damage.

Close-up pics of that semicircular metal piece, sides and ends, may help us to identify it...

JimD54 likes this.
  2. Superjet

Superjet XS650 Addict

Looks you are doing the exact same thing I did last winter. Replace cam chain and guide and entire new gaskets and seals. If you do buy cam chain from mikes it does come with a master link...they got me for an extra few bucks. Ensure you center the chain guide in the cylinders. Mine was not by p.o.
    Message_1517070681584.jpg

I got the Athena kit cause it comes with the drain plugs gaskets. 5T mentioned that they last for a long time. I had a leak at the front plug and now no more! Good luck. JC

TwoManyXS1Bs likes this.
  3. B_Crabaugh

B_Crabaugh XS650 Member

BC3776BE-3C29-432F-8F56-7873A920D447.jpeg
    Ok will do. Here is a closeup if that metal piece. There is an R etched into it. I’m pretty convinced it’s from an old piston ring. My bet is that this motor was once rebuilt to fix a compression issue and new rings were installed but a part of the old one was left floating around. There is gasket sealer EVERYWHERE and put on very thick.

TwoManyXS1Bs likes this.
  4. I'll buy that. Keep a close eye on this'n. The oddities list is growin'.
    Somewhere in here is an old pic of a small screwdriver found wedged between crankcase webs, source and history unknown...

B_Crabaugh and JimD54 like this.
  5. B_Crabaugh

B_Crabaugh XS650 Member

Houston we have a problem... Looks like the PO removed the mix adjustment on the carbs and managed to mangle the screw pretty badly. I took a free Harbor Freight 4-in-1 screwdriver that has a flathead that fits PERFECTLY in there, but no luck getting the thing loose. Soaked it in PB Blaster overnight, hit hith a hammer, and nothing. What to do?
    IMG_8661.JPG

Got all my jets and whatnot from Mike's. Is this the correct order of operations for the jet needle? Seen here with the 5IX11.
    IMG_8662.jpg

Cleaned up the motor pretty good with oven cleaner and a nylon brush. Still need to go over it again and get in the nooks and crannies with a toothbrush. I am certain that this thing has been apart before. Does this amount of gasket sealer seem heavy handed? I think so.
    IMG_8665.JPG
    IMG_8666.JPG
    IMG_8667.jpg

Check out these screw heads. No way that's factory.
    IMG_8673.JPG

How does this rear cam chain guide look? Serviceable? Is that a normal amount of wear for 10k miles?
    IMG_8672.JPG

Is this clutch pushrod seal factory? I don't think so but could be wrong!
    IMG_8670.JPG

I also noticed that this case bolt is missing...
    IMG_8671.JPG

Here's a look at the crank. Turns smoothly and freely. Nothing is falling out. Look ok?
    IMG_8674.JPG

Finally, here is one of the pistons. Looks ok to me. The rings look nice and were free. The rings on the other are stuck.
    IMG_8677.JPG

On another note, I killed my first grinder! Do I get a badge?
    IMG_8668.JPG

A little more cutting on the frame, then grinding, then sanding, then yada yada yada...
    IMG_8669.JPG

Looking forward to your replies!

figure8 likes this.
  6. Camilo

Camilo XS650 Member

UK
    Unfortunately looks like a case of someone trying to remove Japanese Industrial Standard screws with a Phillips driver. My bike looks very similar, tempted to replace damaged ones for new ones with hex heads.

7. B_Crabaugh

B_Crabaugh XS650 Member

Yep absolutely. Every screw on the bike looks like this

8. B_Crabaugh

B_Crabaugh XS650 Member

59Tebo likes this.