1980 XS650 Cafe Build

mattylmbr

mattylmbr
Reaction score
Howdy all.. New to the XS650 world, have always ridden newer sport bikes and dirt bikes, but really looking forward to digging into a build (never gotten into more than maintenance and upkeep on a bike till now).. As a first timer on the tear down and build up, definitely some concerns on what I can and can't take care of on my own, but looking forward to figuring it out.

Bike is a 1980 XS650.. Has had some "work" done, some good, and some "OK", but I think a great start.. Does have a Pamco ignition and Hughes PMA system already installed, and kick only (however they didn't remove the starter - I'll get to that later).. Plans are to go to a 2016 R6 front end and brakes, Cognito front wheel conversion for the R6 Forks, and 17" modern wheels laced to the stock rear hub and Cognito front hub (dry run/fit pics of the front end below).. Also, grabbed a tank off of a 1977, as I like the center gas cap and overall shape and width of the 1977 better than the stock 1980 tank.. Have already fitted the tank and dual petcocks, and looks and runs great.. Pics are after 1977 tank install and with stock fork, and then mock up with R6 fork on..

Challenges will be the engine, as it runs great, but has some definite leaks - and that starts to get out of my comfort level.. Will be looking for some help from the forums on the engine needs.. Leaking from both head gaskets, so, no clue how to get down there and back up.. So - like I said - will be looking for guidance.. Otherwise - hoping to have her back in riding condition for the spring..

Appreciate the guidance in advance, and hope you enjoy the slow build!!
IMG_2472.JPG
IMG_2753.jpg
IMG_2756.jpg
IMG_2758.jpg

So - guessing it’s getting cool enough out here in MD that it’s time to pull the engine off and start tackling the frame bits and messing around with figuring out what I can and cannot do with the engine.

So - guessing drain the oil before pulling the motor out?? And - I’ve read it comes out of the RH side and is quite a pain in the a$$??

Recommendations welcome. And - here we go!

The oil drained and both side covers removed make it a little lighter and easier
Removing the stator, rotor and clutch will make another 20 lbs lighter. After lifting a little spinning the motor a quarter turn clockwise gets the cylinders out from under the backbone so you can lift it some more to clear the starter. But I do it a bit different than other folks. Some lay it on the left side then lift the frame clear after everything is loose. Some bear hug it out and the really young bucks just hang it from their pecker to lift it out.

The oil drained and both side covers removed make it a little lighter and easier
Removing the stator, rotor and clutch will make another 20 lbs lighter. After lifting a little spinning the motor a quarter turn clockwise gets the cylinders out from under the backbone so you can lift it some more to clear the starter. But I do it a bit different than other folks. Some lay it on the left side then lift the frame clear after everything is loose. Some bear hug it out and the really young bucks just hang it from their pecker to lift it out.

Comical. Appreciate the insight - and now that I’m in my 40’s - I’ll steer clear of the pecker method.

So - guessing it’s getting cool enough out here in MD that it’s time to pull the engine off and start tackling the frame bits and messing around with figuring out what I can and cannot do with the engine.

So - guessing drain the oil before pulling the motor out?? And - I’ve read it comes out of the RH side and is quite a pain in the a$$??

Recommendations welcome. And - here we go!
No its not a pain in the a$$. However it could be very expensive, if you try to lift the motor by yourself, and get a hernia, requiring you to have an operation in the hospital. Since you are in the USA , if you don't have health insurance to pay for the operation, the cost could bankrupt you.

The smart way is to use 2 pipes, 2 nylon slings and 2 people. Simple and no one gets hurt.
Look at post #65 in this link:
http://www.xs650.com/threads/homemade-and-unique-tools.37/page-4

No its not a pain in the a$$. However it could be very expensive, if you try to lift the motor by yourself, and get a hernia, requiring you to have an operation in the hospital. Since you are in the USA , if you don't have health insurance to pay for the operation, the cost could bankrupt you.

The smart way is to use 2 pipes, 2 nylon slings and 2 people. Simple and no one gets hurt.
Look at post #65 in this link:
http://www.xs650.com/threads/homemade-and-unique-tools.37/page-4

Excellent! That looks a bit easier!!

Nice job!!! Way to go for it. And you've come to the right spot where lot's of great guys on here willing to help when you get to the point of not knowing what or how to do something. Looking forward to your tear down/build.

Doing some traveling for work the rest of the week - so had to get my fix in working on the bike and get something done. Attacked the 2016 R6 fork and cut off the stock steering bumps, and filed and got them down to even with the lower triple. Little more finish to do on the RH side of the pic - and then light sand and repaint silver to look stock again when I’m home again next week.

CEF93DB8-A017-439F-96A9-496F9CCE6765.jpeg

Doing some traveling for work the rest of the week - so had to get my fix in working on the bike and get something done. Attacked the 2016 R6 fork and cut off the stock steering bumps, and filed and got them down to even with the lower triple. Little more finish to do on the RH side of the pic - and then light sand and repaint silver to look stock again when I’m home again next week.
View attachment 108651

Hi Matt,
and now, when the forks are apart, is the time to replace the crowded ball headraces with tapered roller bearings.
And to tap the frame's steering head tube for a grease nipple so the bearings can be re-greased without the need for a teardown.

Hi Matt,
and now, when the forks are apart, is the time to replace the crowded ball headraces with tapered roller bearings.
And to tap the frame's steering head tube for a grease nipple so the bearings can be re-greased without the need for a teardown.

Interesting thought on the grease port. Going with a Cognito conversation stem and All Balls tapered bearings for sure.

Welp - some heavy cutting and de tabbing today. Starting to get a vision. Need to make a decision on what I’m going to do as far as a seat and the seat loop next I guess.

57392264-99C1-450F-BCAF-652F973C15B2.jpeg

Paint stripped and stops fully removed, ground down and smoothed. Dropping her off tomorrow at Cognito Moto for powder coating, and install of new XS650 conversion stem. Small progress.

FD85F9D3-90D3-4D10-B0CF-083AB47D087E.jpeg

Welp - back on the build wagon - definitely got thrown off by the holidays. So, time to post some updates.

Lower triple from above post back from blasting and vapor honing - decided against the powder coating so that the upper Cognito triple would match nicely to the stock/modified R6 lower. I think it came out nice. Pic shows the Cognito conversion stem pressed in as well as the retro top nut. Have since pressed on the new All Balls bearings as well.

Lower pic is the stock rear hub after blasting and matte black powder coating. Came out nice as well. That is currently being laced to a 17” Warp 9 3.5” rim for the rear, and the same is being laced to a Cognito R6 conversion hub for the front. Both with stainless spokes and nipples (yes, I said nipples).

Back in the garage a lot more detabbing and grinding has been done, have pressed in the new races for the All Balls bearings for the stem, and trying to decide on the seat I’ll go with - then address the rear hoop on the frame. Once that is done - she will get powder coated and I can start messing with the looks.

168D4647-3E2B-4A2A-AB5F-98A5172191EB.jpeg
C0E30684-2B55-4E30-99C7-567C228DC1BA.jpeg

Looks good so far. I used the cognito moto stem as well for for my R1 fork conversion. I would love to tour cognitos shop lol, I would go broke for sure before I left.

Looks good so far. I used the cognito moto stem as well for for my R1 fork conversion. I would love to tour cognitos shop lol, I would go broke for sure before I left.
I live in Baltimore, and travel through Richmond often for work.. So, when I had them do the lower triple, I actually dropped it off live at the shop... Really cool place, and they were super great to deal with.. Devin over at Cognito has been super helpful to deal with on moving forward w/ the wheels they are building for me as well.. Highly recommend them for any parts/services that they provide..

I live in Baltimore, and travel through Richmond often for work.. So, when I had them do the lower triple, I actually dropped it off live at the shop... Really cool place, and they were super great to deal with.. Devin over at Cognito has been super helpful to deal with on moving forward w/ the wheels they are building for me as well.. Highly recommend them for any parts/services that they provide..
I have their license plate mount/holder and headlight brackets, very nice pieces. I've been debating back and forth about getting their upper triple and having it drilled for a set of their risers, but I just can't sink any more money into this bike. The upper triple and retro but is so clean though lol

Got my wheels back from Cognito. Had the rebuilt and coated stock hub laced to a modern 17” wheel and stainless spokes - and the same for the front to a Cognito R6 conversion hub. Avon Roadrider rubber - mounted the tires today. 120/70 17 Front and 130/80 17 Rear. Got the R6 front end mounted up with new All Balls bearings and races - and Cognito upper triple installed and got the front wheel on. Rear is just loose fit to check the look out.

Making progress and love the direction the look is going. Next is to decide on rear shocks and lenght. To get the Cafe look I am going for - looks like it need to be a 14” or a hair longer shock. Reading their may be rubbing issues - but will figure it out. Had my heart set on the Fox Podium R shocks in 14 1/4” - but Cognito told me they may not be available any longer. Suggestions welcome.

4C58DFC5-6179-4F74-9EF3-4A04F3743681.jpeg
326D21DB-EC97-4562-8D2B-F3D649604321.jpeg
E460A58A-2E31-4EC9-8148-1F0A459F2D7B.jpeg

Back