1980 xs650 stock engine

solidstateirons

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello,

Im pretty new when it comes to EVERYTHING, i have some knowledge here and there but im learning as i go. Anyways, my point here is, i just got a project bike with a full stock engine and i want to run this bike without a battery, so i was reading that i would need a PMA KIT and a PAMCO IGNITION SYSTEM, so i checked where those things ate located and as i mentioned before, the stator is stock BUT when i checked the Ignition system, there are no points, no rod, empty. So im guessing this person removed the ignition system for another build which i guess its "okay" since im thinking on replacing everything. So here are my questions.
Where should i start? I know i just want to run the bike with no battery, a headlight and rear brake light and rear turn signals, maybe front ones too. I dont want an ignition key since im thinking of machining a removable kick start but that comes eventually.

I just want to know how to start and what steps to follow to have the engine running with the pma kit and the pamco ignition system.

Thanks a lotttt in advance!

Hi solidstateirons,
OK, nobody robbed the points etc. off your engine because 1980 and newer bikes didn't have them in the first place.
They had a TCI (Transistor Controlled Ignition) system in it's place.
To work, the bike needs the Rotor with a small trigger magnet in it, the Stator with an ignition signal pickup on it, the TCI itself and a single coil with two plugwires plus the appropriate wiring. And oh yes, it'll need a battery.
Best you check how much of this stuff is still on your project bike before you start throwing money at it.

Hi solidstateirons,
OK, nobody robbed the points etc. off your engine because 1980 and newer bikes didn't have them in the first place.
They had a TCI (Transistor Controlled Ignition) system in it's place.
To work, the bike needs the Rotor with a small trigger magnet in it, the Stator with an ignition signal pickup on it, the TCI itself and a single coil with two plugwires plus the appropriate wiring. And oh yes, it'll need a battery.
Best you check how much of this stuff is still on your project bike before you start throwing money at it.

i will take pictures of what is in there. So far i took a picture of the left side of the ignition system. I will attach it here.
IMG_6322.jpg

this is how it looks on the left side. (tilt your head to see lol)

I don't know where you were reading you need a PMA and Pamco unit..............But...............If your ignition and charging systems are working then you do not need a PMA and Pamco. Original systems can work well if connections are clean and good and also the battery has to be in good condition.

Go to Tech menu and look under Electrical then go down and click onto the 3rd to last and 2nd to last links

Yes that pic shows where the points are situated on the 70-79 Standard and Special models.

80-84 Special/heritage Specials have the Factory Electronic Ignition, (TCI), as Fred has already said nothing under those covers.

Get a manual and use it as people give you information, or the other way round.

Go down to post 5 for links to online manuals untill you get one yourself.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30569

Double click on pics to get full sized downloadable Jpeg files

Attachments

• XS650SJ Service manual Jpeg106 2.jpg
    XS650SJ Service manual Jpeg106 2.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 224
  • XS650SJ Service manual Jpeg107 1.jpg
    XS650SJ Service manual Jpeg107 1.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 231
  • XS650SJ Service manual Jpeg108.jpg
    XS650SJ Service manual Jpeg108.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 239
  • XS650SJ Service manual Jpeg109.jpg
    XS650SJ Service manual Jpeg109.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
I don't know where you were reading you need a PMA and Pamco unit..............But...............If your ignition and charging systems are working then you do not need a PMA and Pamco. Original systems can work well if connections are clean and good and also the battery has to be in good condition.

Go to Tech menu and look under Electrical then go down and click onto the 3rd to last and 2nd to last links

Yes that pic shows where the points are situated on the 70-79 Standard and Special models.

80-84 Special/heritage Specials have the Factory Electronic Ignition, (TCI), as Fred has already said nothing under those covers.

Get a manual and use it as people give you information, or the other way round.

Go down to post 5 for links to online manuals untill you get one yourself.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30569

Double click on pics to get full sized downloadable Jpeg files

Thanks a lot for the info. As i mentioned before in my post, I want to run my bike without battery. I will still look into the information you just gave me though, always good to know all of that.

apologies, missed the bit where you want to go battery less. Go to Pamcopetes site and buy the unit from him because he now has a rod, (for Factory TCI models), that goes into the cam and you will need the E-advance unit.
http://www.yamahaxs650.com/

apologies, missed the bit where you want to go battery less. Go to Pamcopetes site and buy the unit from him because he now has a rod, (for Factory TCI models), that goes into the cam and you will need the E-advance unit.
http://www.yamahaxs650.com/

Ok, so i went back to check the engine and took some more pictures.

Here is the left side :

IMG_6366.jpg

Here is the right side :

IMG_6365.jpg

And here is the stock stator without the cover.

IMG_6363.jpg

Now, as you can see, there is nothing where the Ignition System is, no rod, nothing inside. So since I want to get the PAMCO Ignition system, is this the kit i need for my bike???

FullSizeRender.jpg

Thanks again for all the info!

From PamcoPete's site.

If you have an 1980 to 1983 model, you can use the stock coil or other suitable after market coils and order this special kit for the '80 to '83 models which includes the PAMCO E-Advancer and sensor plate, a special advance rod, two one piece brass bushings and the three locating pins to lock the advancer rod to the cam shaft. Also included is a special rotor and advancer replacement.

Yes that is the kit you need.

Question: Do you have a manual

Great stuff 650Skull. thanks for all the clarification. I'm in a similar boat with an 80Special and you've really helped me out for sure
#1 part on my list right now is a Clymer (or Haynes), would you prefer one over the other?

thanks again!

From PamcoPete's site.

If you have an 1980 to 1983 model, you can use the stock coil or other suitable after market coils and order this special kit for the '80 to '83 models which includes the PAMCO E-Advancer and sensor plate, a special advance rod, two one piece brass bushings and the three locating pins to lock the advancer rod to the cam shaft. Also included is a special rotor and advancer replacement.

Yes that is the kit you need.

Question: Do you have a manual

Thanks for clarifying that. And no i dont have a manual yet. I am on the look for one.

Both Haynes and Clymer have mistakes, if you can get an original service manual tis better but even then be warned some torque specs are wrong so use common sense and if in dought ask on the site. Clutch basket diagram has a spacer missing, do a google search on here there has been numerous posts with the correct pic

All of these are in PDF form in the link i posted post #4. The site is German but the manuals are in English. Also TheXScafe has a lot of Parts manuals and service manuals

That link has the B manual posted in Jpeg files and all through the manual in the beginning of the chapterss there are links to threads and Blogs and all sorts of info from the web to help with getting quick information help for any relevant scenario.

Take the time, it takes about 20 seconds for the first page to load due to all the ID pics of the models and scroll down as it loads for anything that may be of value

Both Haynes and Clymer have mistakes, if you can get an original service manual tis better but even then be warned some torque specs are wrong so use common sense and if in dought ask on the site. Clutch basket diagram has a spacer missing, do a google search on here there has been numerous posts with the correct pic

All of these are in PDF form in the link i posted post #4. The site is German but the manuals are in English. Also TheXScafe has a lot of Parts manuals and service manuals

That link has the B manual posted in Jpeg files and all through the manual in the beginning of the chapterss there are links to threads and Blogs and all sorts of info from the web to help with getting quick information help for any relevant scenario.

Take the time, it takes about 20 seconds for the first page to load due to all the ID pics of the models and scroll down as it loads for anything that may be of value

Great! I will definitively look into it.

Back