1980 Yamaha XS650 wiring and ground (-)

How go i ground the starter motor

• Frame

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Motor

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
E4A8C87C-865F-45F4-A93E-9A07065143EB.jpeg

I tried posting a video to show you guys that the bike is running Part of my problem was that my battery was weak. I charged it up. Grounded to the frame Took some paint off the handle bars and everything worked. I appreciate all the advice from all of you guys Now I can move onto tuning the carbs and lighting

I need more help. Does anyone have carburetors for 1980xs650 for sale for a reasonable price ??????

I tried fixing it. I made it worse. There beyond repair. Trust me. Do you have a set of carbs you can sell me for a 1980 XS650???

Save those bad ones and look for any bs34's, 1980 through 1983......don't limit yourself to 80 only. '80 and '81 will be drop ins......'82 and '83 will work if you swap the choke setup with your '80's. '81 through '83 have the plastic floats as opposed to the brass. Yeah, save yer parts and pieces.

I have no spares, just trying to help you with what you have.

Save those bad ones and look for any bs34's, 1980 through 1983......don't limit yourself to 80 only. '80 and '81 will be drop ins......'82 and '83 will work if you swap the choke setup with your '80's. '81 through '83 have the plastic floats as opposed to the brass. Yeah, save yer parts and pieces.

I have no spares, just trying to help you with what you have.
Do you think any carb body from a bs34 will work. I found one off a 250 Yamaha that use one of these carbs. You think I can switch out the carb bodies and make this work ??

Can't say for sure without having the two to compare. You'ld think they would swap but there could be niggling differences.
You could try searching the Classified section in the forum here or post a 'wanted' in the classifieds.
I've oft wondered what the Secas and Maxims ran as far as carbs go.....a four pack.

Stick with the BS's from an XS650 only. been down "the looks like it should fit" carb blind ally before. Every other model will have subtle differences: different holes drilled, tapped, fuel routing, machining done that will drive you nuts.

Last edited:
Stick with the BS's from an XS60 only. been down "the looks like it should fit" carb blind ally before. Every other model will have subtle differences: differnt holes drilled, tapped, fuel routing, machining done that will drive you nuts.
I need more help. I mounted my cdi box in a bad spot and broke it My bike is a 1980. But I found a cdi box from a 1978 on eBay for cheap. Would this work ???

The 1978 model didn't have a CDI box. The CDI ignition didn't start until the 1980 model.

Define "broke." If all you did was broke a mounting tab, you can figure a way to fix. Them boxes are rare and hard to come by at a reasonable price.
.... and it's a TCI box, not a CDI

02E37A9E-6C7E-4E66-AC69-A124F36739A7.png
Define "broke." If all you did was broke a mounting tab, you can figure a way to fix. Them boxes are rare and hard to come by at a reasonable price.
It’s in a million pieces Will this replacement I found on eBay work?? Says it’s from a 1979. My bike is a 1980xs650

And it looks exactly the same from what I broke.

Back