(1981 but completely redone) stalling when warmed up today

ianroach

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Okay so I'll give you guys the whole story without going overboard here.
I got this bike when I turned 21 from my dad. It was sitting in a barn for years but a good friend of ours fixed it up and sold it to him. As soon as I started riding there were all sorts of problems. Bad connections, old and defective charging system, etc. My dad got the whole wiring harness replaced, when that didn't work he put in a brand new charging system with magnets instead of brushes. Totally modern. Along with a new battery. This is all over the course of a year or so.

The bike has been running fine for about a month now. But I recently took my girlfriend on our first ride together, and as the bike warmed up, it felt like the clutch was slipping and I had trouble getting going from 1st gear. Simple clutch adjustment right? Well... On our way home when the bike was hot I started experiencing the same stalling without touching the clutch. The bike would stall in 2nd or 3rd gear. Going about 30mph. I would have to keep the rpm up just to get us home but finally it shut off and I had to roll the bike over the last hill. By that point I was getting a lot of smoke around the carbs. Earlier when I was warming the bike up the rpm suddenly jumped. Perhaps it's related? I'm thinking the carbs need to be cleaned? Or there's gas on the oil? The fuel lines look fine and so do my connections and fuses. I'm also hearing a hiss around the gas cap so it could be something as simple as a cap vent. Thoughts?

Welcome to the forum, iantheroach.

You've got some good ideas on things to check and service. Another obscure possibility is your new (presumably PMA, Permanent Magnet Alternator) charging system acting up and threatening your ignition system. Many of us add voltmeters to watch the system voltage...

What color/condition are your spark plugs? Perhaps check the carb bowl fuel levels, if too high (flooding) the plugs should be quite dark in color. Where is the smoke coming from??? Could the smoke be from the engine vent pipe immediately in front of the carbs? Did the smoke smell like oily exhaust or electrical? If not sure what electrical smoke smells like then burn a bit of insulated wire on a soldering iron, it is quite distinct. Visually check for any burnt wiring near the regulator/rectifier.

Maybe a blocked fuel cap vent like you suggest.

Welcome to the forum, iantheroach.

You've got some good ideas on things to check and service. Another obscure possibility is your new (presumably PMA, Permanent Magnet Alternator) charging system acting up and threatening your ignition system. Many of us add voltmeters to watch the system voltage...
Yes! We were actually aware of this and I have a voltmeter to keep tabs on it. Strangely enough the battery seemed fine through this whole ordeal up until trying to restart that last time. There just wasn't enough charge and I had to push it home. Honestly the charging system has seemed flawless since overhauling it.

Back