Wanted - 1981 rear mag with drum

jo jo

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
looking for a rear mag with drum,or trade even for my front spoke wheel that's powder coated black.

I've got a set, front and rear mags off an '81 Special. Sold as a set, will not break the pair up. Two hundred bucks. I prefer local pickup if interested. Located about sixty miles southwest of Cincinnatti, seventy miles or so northeast of Louisville, seventy or so miles south-south east of Indy. Can't really get here from anywhere......lol

No brake, and you'll need to add bearings, but in great shape otherwise.
-=Phyber

Attachments

• IMG_0933.JPG
    IMG_0933.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0934.JPG
    IMG_0934.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0936.JPG
    IMG_0936.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 100
I've got a set, front and rear mags off an '81 Special. Sold as a set, will not break the pair up. Two hundred bucks. I prefer local pickup if interested. Located about sixty miles southwest of Cincinnatti, seventy miles or so northeast of Louisville, seventy or so miles south-south east of Indy. Can't really get here from anywhere......lol

Hi nj,
Me, I'd split 'em because it'll be way easier to sell the front by itself.
FWIW, although the rear drum mag is limited to 16" rear drum XS650 Specials, a front mag ain't.
Besides fitting most XS650s it's also used on all XS750, XS850 & XS1100 bikes
and none of those shaftie owners will need an XS650 rear drum mag.

Hey Fred, these two have been together for a long time, I'd hate to split 'em up.......but yeah, front mags are a dime a dozen and rear drum mags are one year only.....at least here in the states. They'll go together or not go at all........they don't eat much.......lol

Hi nj,
you sentimental old thing, you.
Yeah, cast rear drum was only on the '81 XS650SH in the USA, after that the US bikes ran those aesthetically unpleasing megaspoke wire wheels.
The cast rear drum stayed until end of production in Canada for sure and perhaps in other markets too.
The cast fronts fit more places than you'd think.
I passed one on to a '79 XS650 Special owner to replace the wire wheel on his sidecar so it'll match the bike's wheels and so he can run tubeless all round.

The XS650 Cast Mag wheel is different to the XS750/850, don;t know about the XS1100 but i would assume it is different as well due to the bike size difference.

Not a lot to see, but if you compare they are markedly different where the spoke attaches around the rim area there appears to be no difference, as the spoke goes towards the hub area this is the big difference.

XS650 front mag has the spoke shaved all the way to the hub and is curved where they meet as per the front. The spoke is 30mm about 1 1/4" just before the curve. The hub has been machined so the rotor mounts protrude about 14mm or just over 1/2".

XS750/850 front mag spoke is shaved as per the XS650 where the spoke meets the rim area but as the spoke goes toward the hub the spoke is not shaved, so no curve to the hub. At that point the spoke is 50mm, 2" wide. The hub has no Machining so the rotor sits flush to the full size of the Hub. No rotor mount protrusions.

Back