1981 XS650(H?) Frame and Engine VIN ID

maraakate

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am working on what I believe is a 1981 XS650H (H is for the Heritage Special, yes?) and I want to see if the engine matches the frame VIN. I tried looking in a number of spots on the case but I just don't see a plate or numbers stamped anywhere except the oil engine capacity on the right side. Where is this normally located?

The frame VIN is 4N9-003083. I have reason to believe the motor is from another bike.

The "H" is the year code. 1980's were "G" models, '82's were "J" models. The engine serial number is stamped on the front by the lower engine mount. It can be difficult to spot because the motor mount is in the way .....

uMBvYCt.jpg

336ghaI.jpg

You'll find another pair of numbers on the top front between the valve covers. These have nothing to do with engine year but are for matching the top cover to the head. Those 2 parts are machined together so the bearings and valve covers fit into them perfectly. You can't mix up top covers and heads .....

IZsgtQi.jpg

Hello,

I am working on what I believe is a 1981 XS650H (H is for the Heritage Special, yes?) and I want to see if the engine matches the frame VIN. I tried looking in a number of spots on the case but I just don't see a plate or numbers stamped anywhere except the oil engine capacity on the right side. Where is this normally located?

The frame VIN is 4N9-003083. I have reason to believe the motor is from another bike.
The H is the model year, they started the letters with the TX650A in 1974, XS650B in 75 etc.

You'll find another pair of numbers on the top front between the valve covers. These have nothing to do with engine year but are for matching the top cover to the head. Those 2 parts are machined together so the bearings and valve covers fit into them perfectly. You can't mix up top covers and heads .....

IZsgtQi.jpg

Good catch, didn't even notice that one. But, good to know.

Maybe even more interesting is whether the odometer and engine are a match?
Important in my mind when considering a purchase.

Maybe even more interesting is whether the odometer and engine are a match?
Important in my mind when considering a purchase.

As every nearly auction at "bring a
trailer" states, actual miles unknown.
There's a reason low mile odo's bring good money on fleabait.

I'll betcha you could look an XS over for clues such as exhaust system condition, engine appearance even and bust a guy who has replaced the odometer.
At least on true low mileage bikes
;)

Back