1981 XS650 SH Restoration

I like the replacement one from Heiden. It's only a few dollars more too. Shipping may make it cost prohibitive though. I'm not sure if mine is torn or not. I didn't notice it being torn, but you're right, it does look like it is from my pictures. I will check it out tonight.

You have to examine them closely, sometimes even push in on the screening a little bit, to notice the tears sometimes. Because these are so prone to ripping out, I like to check mine at every oil change. I have extra sump plates w/ filters so it speeds the process because I have a clean assembly on hand to swap in. Then I can clean and examine the one I removed at my leisure, and have it all ready to go for the next filter/oil change. If you watch eBay, you can usually score a sump plate w/ a torn filter still attached for between $10 and $20.

Last edited:
any idea as to why the magnets are in different positions and different shapes? (some round and some square?) I like the idea of having a few assembled and on hand for a quick swap. My bike only has around 6,000 original miles on it, so I would "think" mine would be stock sump filter. If it is, that's not very many miles on it to look like it does, so i really like the added shield on that end.

The round magnet ones are the aftermarket, supposedly improved filters, but they're no better than originals in my opinion, maybe even worse. They have perforated sheet metal backing the screen except in that pointed area around the magnet that always blows out. A lotta help that is, lol. And the round magnets often seem to come loose and fall out. You can see in my pics I had to JB Weld some of those round magnets back in. As far as why the magnet location on the back side differs, I have no idea.

Best as I can remember, mine had been repaired with a fiberglas body repair kit. Heavy coat of clear epoxy-like stuff, over a sheet of woven fiberglas cloth. Having the cloth in it makes it tough as nails. You can break JB if you try, but not that stuff. Be like trying to tear a phone book.

Working on the lower case tonight. I discovered that I have two gaskets for the starter gear cover.

20190115_192045.jpg

They are mirrored gaskets but the same. Is that an accident or do I just pick one? Also, what is that little Shiney clip right above them. I don't see it the diagrams but it was in with the starter parts.

I believe your shiny little "bit" goes above and just to the right of the starter gear cover. There looks like a small protrusion with 3 dots on it. It is used to secure the wires from the charging system so they don't fight with the chain. I'm not sure if it is broken or just pulled off it's base. Good luck with your project.
tim

Last edited:
I did read a thread where the play in the shaft I was asking about is correct, so I'm happy with that. I didn't find anything about why I have two of the same gaskets though so I'm going to guess I got an extra one by mistake. I'll save it in case I need it down the road.

Tim's talking about this clip.... Not sure if that's it or not.

1.jpg

20190115_192045.jpg

Mines an 80SG I've been restoring. I really don't recall seeing that tab anywhere. But, my memory ain't what it used to be....

As far as that extra gasket goes, those Athena kits always seem to come with one, don't know why. I just use one. That little "mystery" clip isn't ringing any bells.

That clip is not to be found on a USA '81. What's the serial number of your engine?
Ewww. Those green gaskets... thin..brittle...

Back