1981 XS650 SH Restoration

Does anyone have a source for the lock tab, #17 on this diagram? Mine is past its life expectancy

Screenshot_2019-02-19-17-50-52.png

Shawn, just for future reference.
Pics of shiftdrum stop plates catch my eye. Here's a closeup of yours.
View attachment 135405

If you experience difficulty finding neutral, have a look in this.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/finding-neutral-while-stopped-and-in-gear.47568/

I would like to replace the stop plate while I'm in there but have not had any luck finding a NOS one. I'm going to order a new spring tonight a d a bunch of other parts I need. I will keep searching for the stop plate though. Thanks for the post link. That definitely made me rethink reusing my old parts.

Just dropped $200 on parts for my motor. Next week should see the motor wrapped up and installed into the frame. Mikesxs was out of the oil tube though so I'll have to wait until more show up. I think that's the only part I need now.

I missed four screws in my parts order. I need the four screws that hold the adjustabLe Rear Cam chain guide. It appears that there are two sizes. I see one of them is available on partzilla but the other is not. It calls that one a "special" screw. Can these be replaced with a standard 6mm screw? If so, it looks like I will have to cut one to length?

It calls that one a "special" screw. Can these be replaced with a standard 6mm screw? If so, it looks like I will have to cut one to length?
The shank Is sized to the holes in the base for alignment. As long as the replacement screws shank is a good fit for the hole....

Jim, I'm floored by your generosity on this forum. Without probably even knowing, your posts here have helped me a great deal. With the picture that you attached, I went to my basement and dumped out a box of nothing but hardware in it and was able to find the screws. I do have new Lock washers for them though. Thank you Jim.

Here's where I am now. I'm getting everything arranged so I have it organized. I'm having a hell of a time with it due to my once organized boxes getting spilled and mixed together. I will get there one day!

20190304_162730.jpg
20190304_162742.jpg
20190304_162751.jpg

I'm using an endless Cam chain and don't want to break it. I do have a master link just in case I have to. I had to drill out the spacer on the rear Chain tensioner to get the chain through it. As far as I can tell (read), there is no need to replace it. Here is a picture of that and the screws I found. They look like the ones Jim posted, so I think they are the correct ones anyway.

20190304_162820.jpg

Funny you should ask...I have your top end build thread open while I'm sorting it out. That's more helpful than any manual and I have it bookmarked. I saw that you put some sealer on the gasket below the cylinders. I thought that they went on dry. Is that for added sealing? I have some three bond that I used to seal my cases I could use.

I thought that they went on dry. Is that for added sealing? I have some three bond that I used to seal my cases I could use.
Never dry. Some people just use grease or oil.... the theory being it's easier to remove the gasket than with sealer. Seriously though, how often will it need to come apart.... :rolleyes:
I always use sealant.

Well Jim. Here's where I am now. What a great sense of accomplishment. Next on deck is the head. I have to lap the valves and leak test them then that can go on. Then install the rockers with new tappet and button it all up. I bought some permatex lapping compound but it doesn't say what grit it is. I think I'll order some fine grit instead. Anyway...on to the pic.
20190304_190247.jpg

If that bad girl runs as good as she looks you'll be a happy camper.

You’re doing nice work. I’m enjoying following along. For keeping parts in order, I found inexpensive food storage containers from Walmart or anywhere really, worked exceptionally well for staying organized.
AF161890-34B9-490B-9ECC-89B9F9BC8171.jpeg

Oh and zip lock storage bags, sandwich size, and gallon sized.

Back