1981 XS650H wheels/tires tube/tubeless

happydaze

John
Reaction score
According to Clymer, the XS650H takes an inner tube and the SH takes tubeless tires. Both of the tires on my XS650H say tubeless on the sidewall but they are on the spoke wheels.

Is it possible that there is a tube in there even though the tires say tubeless on them, or is it possible that Clymer is wrong and the H takes tubeless tires? Anyone else out there with a 1981 Special II? What do your tires say?

Thanks

Just because a tire says tubeless doesn't mean it can be ran that way on a wire spoke rim. If the spokes nipples aren't sealed to the rim it'll need a tube regardless of the tire. You should be able to tell pretty easily by looking at the valve stem.

An all metal threaded stem with a nut at the bottom tightened against the rim .....

ValveStem.jpg

If you loosen the nut and spin it up 1/4" to 3/8", you should be able to see a bit of a gap around the stem and rim, and maybe even be able to wiggle the stem around a little. A tubeless stem will be rubber around the bottom and sealed into the rim so it holds air in.

Got it. Thanks. So I have tubeless tires with tubes in them. I'm just looking into tire and wheel options because my spokes are pretty shot.

Most motorcycle tubeless tires can be run with tubes. In fact, it's getting harder and harder to find tube only tires any more. Most all are tube/tubeless type today.

Thanks. My tires are actually pretty new but my wheels have the OEM spokes which are all black and corroded by now. I'm trying to find out if anyone local can relace them and also looking into buying cast wheels and putting my tires on them. I know that the cast wheels are 1/4" narrower so I don't know if I can put my 140/90-16 rear tire on a SH cast wheel. I would like to keep the spokes though and have them redone in a perfect world, but the cast wheel option is probably cheaper.

That's great that you have a Clymers. Please do lots of reading and before you pick up a wrench (if that is your plan) be sure you know what you are doing.

Brakes are involved with a wheel change too. If your spokes are still strong, they can be cleaned and painted. Enamel paint markers work well, available in silver too.

Scott

A bit of 101

most tubeless tires can be run with tubes. MOST, while doing some rim, spoke, tire selecting I found Michelin has some sport radials with specific do not uses tubes blurbs.

Generally any bias ply motorcycle tire can have a tube installed.

ALL early XS 650 stock wheels, spoke AND mag, were tube type. Some later mags were tubeless.

There are very good reasons to switch to modern safety rims.
You can re-spoke your stock wheels using mikes XS stainless steel spokes. They are very high quality and pretty much rust proof.

It is possable to make the tube type mags tubeless by drilling the stem hole. But you will not have a modern safety bead, a very good innovation that has been universally adapted by OEMs since about 1985 but NOT by all "who flung dung" rim sellers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

@lakeview That is why I'm asking questions.

@mrtwowheel I did try cleaning the spokes. It took about an hour to get one spoke nice and shiny, and it started to rust again after I cleaned it. Not worth the time.

@gggGary Thanks for the info about tires. I'm running Metzlers. The tires are not really the issue. I can't relace the wheels myself because I live in an apartment and I have no facilities to take the bike apart and no way to store a motorcycle that doesn't have wheels on it. According to the Clymer book, the XS650SH takes tubeless tires on the cast wheels, so I don't think your statement about all XS650s taking tubes is accurate. It makes sense for a spoke wheel to need a tube because otherwise the air could escape from every spoke nipple. There's no reason why a cast wheel should need a tube.

So, I'm still looking for a place where I can drive the bike in and out and have my wheels relaced. If I can't find that I will have to switch to cast wheels. Then if I really want to I can send the spoke wheels to Buchanan Spokes while the cast wheels are on the bike. I just can't have a bike with no wheels on it because I don't have a lift or any way to store it in that condition.

I stand corrected, there are some later mag wheels that are tubeless. don't have an 81 on hand to say for sure on that year, BUT none of the XS mags had the safety bead. You can look for mags from other Yamaha's as well xs750-850-1100 fronts all are bolt on, the maxim fronts also with a different look. a radian rear might work once you leave the XS650 wheels, you have to start watching sprocket and rotor fitment and alignment. Radians are 16" front and rear. I am supposed to have a rear 81 drum mag show up here soon. and I have 19" tubeless front mags....

The reason I was asking about the tube/tubeless thing was because I was trying to figure out if I could put my tires on cast rims, which I can. Good to know about the safety bead though. I'm still trying to stick with spokes because I prefer that look.

I'm looking at lift/dollies and truing/balancing stands. I need to move my bike to get my car out, so I can't leave it immobilized. I'm looking at the options. Are people just gravity balancing their wheels? Does anyone do high speed balancing?

I gravity balance using a harbor freight stand and a box of sidewalk chalk. About 15 tires wheels so far including quite a few big powerful rocket sets. Watch the axle on the HF stand they are often bent. Get several strips of stick on weights, the 5 gram seem to work well.

PS roll the rear wheel up on top of a chunk of 2x4 makes the centerstand easy.

I just gravity balance mine in my homemade wheel stand. It's always worked out fine for me. Years ago, I read about a guy walking through the pits at a road race. He came upon King Kenny Roberts' pit area and saw the mechanic gravity balancing the wheels for his road racer. He said if that was good enough for the King, it was good enough for him, and I have to agree.

On the XS650 cast mag wheels, some require tubes others don't. The ones that can run tubeless have SUITABLE FOR TUBELESS TIRES written on one of the spokes. If you don't see this then they need tubes.
Some same the early Mags had porosity issues. Air could leak out through the wheels. I don't know the reason. But why chance it.
When in doubt put a tube in.
Leo

Yes, one of the mag spokes will be stamped if it can use tubeless tires ......

TubelessLabel.jpg

Back