1981 Yamaha XS650S - Project Bike #5

Those lower small "half" side covers didn't come along until '82, so you're not missing anything there. They came on my '83, and apparently I'm lucky they were still there, but honestly I can take 'em or leave 'em. To help hold them on, a large "beauty" plate was added around the footpeg mounts. Just more extra, useless crap on the bike as far as I'm concerned, lol.

You mean slide needles? I don't think originals are available, but if replacing it I think I'd go with one of the aftermarket adjustable ones they sell. And my choice wouldn't be the normal supposed "Canadian" needle, it would be this Cruzinimage kit. It contains not one but two adjustable needles, needle jets too, and doesn't cost much more than the MikesXS bare bones BS34 rebuild kits .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/80-81-Yama...208475?hash=item26235f58db:g:VggAAOxy-gBR-4HK

Granted, it doesn't contain the rubber plugs for covering the pilot jets but those can be found for $2 to $3 each. On the other hand, needles are about $10, needle jets about $15, so you get $5 less in parts but around $70 more.
That's good info to have, but I was thinking of the mix screw, shouldn't have called it a needle. Last I remember, Littlebill was stuggling to find a new one with a profile like the original, several years ago.

The mix screw is something Yamaha never listed or sold as a separate part for the 650 BS34s. But, they used very similar Mikuni BS carbs on many of their other bikes, the mix screw is the same, and they list and sell it. Even better yet, it's cheaper than the aftermarket knock-offs .....

https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/12R-14105-00-00

It's also the complete assembly - screw, spring, little washer, and o-ring.

How do you find this stuff out? It's availability would make me a lot more comfortable about digging into that part of the carb. Practically a why not.

This one took a bit of researching. I found an eBay seller selling an aftermarket "12R" screw assembly and they had pics with caliper measurements. I compared those to actual 650 BS34 mix screws I had and they matched up. Then, as confirmation, someone on the site here got some and reported they were the correct screw, an exact match and fit. Although I haven't tried them yet, I'm quite confident they're the right ones. I plan to order some with my next Partzilla order. Yes, it is practically a "Why Not?". Exact original replacements for less than the aftermarket reproductions.

This one took a bit of researching. I found an eBay seller selling an aftermarket "12R" screw assembly and they had pics with caliper measurements. I compared those to actual 650 BS34 mix screws I had and they matched up. Then, as confirmation, someone on the site here got some and reported they were the correct screw, an exact match and fit. Although I haven't tried them yet, I'm quite confident they're the right ones. I plan to order some with my next Partzilla order. Yes, it is practically a "Why Not?". Exact original replacements for less than the aftermarket reproductions.
Great find!
Part # added to the great seal, o-ring thread.

Thanks for the great info on the additional carb parts!

Regarding tires:

I found this on eBay for possible tires... It's a hard-to-find tire size combination with that 16" rear wheel.
  • 3.25HB 19, 130/90VB 16 Continental Conti GO! Sport Touring Tire Kit - 2 Tires
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-25HB-19-...res-/323849138765?vxp=mtr&hash=item4b66e9b24d

Also on Bike Bandit I found Avon Roadrunners:
And finally, any suggestions/experience for improved performance rear shocks (non-reservoir)? Hagons? Other?

080619-right-side.jpg

And finally, any suggestions/experience for improved performance rear shocks (non-reservoir)? Hagons? Other?
IKON shocks might be a good choice.
For improved handling and stance, Longer than stock may be worth deciding on as well. However I have no length dimension suggestion for the “Special” frame ?

The metric sized front tire we usually go with is a 100, not a 90.

Those lower small "half" side covers didn't come along until '82, so you're not missing anything there. They came on my '83, and apparently I'm lucky they were still there, but honestly I can take 'em or leave 'em. To help hold them on, a large "beauty" plate was added around the footpeg mounts. Just more extra, useless crap on the bike as far as I'm concerned, lol.

Sorry about that.
I'm familiar with the '80 Special as my son has one and had foolishly supposed the post '80 drum rear Specials were all the same.
So no trapezoid lower side covers until '82, eh? A saving of what, 6 ounces?
Mind you, my front brake upgrade is solid. I dual disked my son's '80 and my own '84 and the oversized stock M/C works them perfectly.

On my own '81, the tires are:
130/90/16 67S rear
100/90/19 57H front
I think that is factory spec. The best deal is Shinko 712, typically about half the price of the next least expensive, and as good as any. Have also used Bridgestone and Kenda.

Thank you to all for the great information. I have ordered the Avon tyres from Bike Bandit. I'm working on ordering the carb rebuild parts. I've ordered Euro bars, grips, pod filters, and a number of other small items.

Question about a new exhaust system... I want to stay with dual 2-into-2 exhaust headers (not 2-into1) but go with a more free-flowing exhaust muffler, in the reverse cone cafe racer style... with a slight upsweep if possible. I found the MAC system MAC-22-Y650 online for $380 direct from MAC Performance. Any thoughts on this product and/or direction? I assume this along with pod filters will require carb jet changes and fine-tuning.

I'm not familiar with the MAC system so I can't comment on it. But yes, you will need to do some carb re-jetting and tuning. The BS34s on your bike were the most E.P.A. mandated carbs used on the 650. That means they are set up quite lean stock, almost too lean. Many report their totally stock BS34 equipped '80 or newer model runs and performs better with one size larger main installed. Make any changes to the intake or exhaust and you will need to do some carb re-tuning. But the BS34s are actually a very good carb. They were the last and most modern carb fitted to the 650. They are lighter than the BS38s and seem to perform just as well even though they're a little smaller. Once you correct their factory lean settings, I think they're a great carb.

My alloy wheels do say they will work with tubeless tires. I think I should replace the valve/stems though... any idea where and what type I should order?

Also, I ordered the Cruzinimage carb kit mentioned by 5twins. I'm ordering the larger main jets (137.5 and 140) plus the #45 pilot jets from Niche Cycles as I plan to go with pods and freer flow mufflers.

What other carb parts will I need that are are not included in the kit?
  • Float needles and valves (which ones does the BS34 use)?
  • Rubber covers for pilots are mentioned
  • O-rings?
  • air mix screws?
  • Anything else?
A new chain arrived today.

I think I'm going to order custom length Ikon shocks (13.5") to raise the rear slightly and give the XS650 more of a cafe racer stance.

cleaned-up-intake.jpg

new-chain.jpg

rear-wheel.jpg

If you ever change the sprockets, these bikes benefit greatly from a small gearing change, but just a small one. With the 16" rear wheel, you can drop down to a 32T from the stock 34T. Leave the front stock (17T).

The Viton rubber tipped float needles used in the BS34s last a long time and yours may be fine, but sometimes the o-ring on the float needle seat needs replacing. If you can get the mix screws uncapped and out without damaging them and only need a replacement o-ring, the size is 1mm x 3mm. The rubber plugs over the pilot jets may be OK, you'll just have to inspect them. If they're starting to dry rot and fall apart, or aren't a nice snug fit in the hole anymore then replace them. You can find 4 packs on eBay for around $10.

No, that should be just fine. The stock ones are about 12 1/2" to 12 3/4" long. Usually you go with replacements somewhere in the 13" to 13.5" range. I have 7610-1429 Konis on my '78 Standard. They're off a Moto Guzzi and are 337mm (13.27") long. The more laid down shock angle on the Special should make the height of 13.5" shocks about the same. Something else that works out nice if you can get it is offset bottom eyes. My Konis have them .....

0wE2Vpa.jpg

This gives more clearance for the chain guard.

Since Ikon bought out Koni and didn't change many of the part numbers or the shocks themselves, you may still be able to get a 1429 Ikon shock.

A Special Chrome chain guard has a bigger cut out than a 78 Standard chain guard. Clearance there on a straight shock eye will likely not be a problem with the Chrome Special chain guard ..

Back