1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

1981 Yamaha XS650S - Project Bike #5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rbirkey, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Randy, good to see you back again. Your bike is coming along nicely! :geek:

Jim likes this.
  2. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

That's not the flasher relay, it's the flasher canceling unit. Relay is a round metal can with 3 terminals.

Paul Sutton likes this.
  3. rbirkey

rbirkey TriumphBonneville.org

Thanks - I guess this must be it... it threw me off because it is square and didn't look like the one I replaced on the 1977 Yamaha XS650D. So will the 2 prong unit work with the three prong receptacle, or do I need to get a different unit?

Randy

oem-flasher.jpg

flasher-units.jpg

Paul Sutton and Jim like this.
  4. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I got the 2 prong to work on my 3 prong 80SG. Honestly don't recall how I wired it, but yeah... it's doable. Iirc I just started plugging the connector in at random angles 'till it worked. :umm:

Paul Sutton and rbirkey like this.
  5. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi Randy,
    a 2-prong flasher will plug into the XS650 stock 3-way flasher receptacle TWO ways.
    One way, nothing happens. T'other way works the flashers but ain't compatible with the self-canceller.

rbirkey and Paul Sutton like this.
  6. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Still Looking Good Top Contributor

Looks like it will plug into an Aussie or NZ power socket too. Anyone game to try it? Cannot be worse than a Taipan in your bedroom.

Jim and lakeview like this.
  7. rbirkey

So, I decided to rebuild the front brake master cylinder while I had everything apart and adding the second front disc. I ordered the 08-0204 kit from MikesXS thinking is was the right one for dual discs - but when I took my master apart, it seems I have the single disc master cylinder (Duh!) which would be kit 08-0219. My question is... will the single disc rebuild be sufficient for my dual disc setup, or do i need to upgrade the entire master cylinder? If so, any recommendations?

master-cylinder-kit.jpg

Boog likes this.
  8. rbirkey

In speaking further with MikesXS I decided to order their 1MH Front Master Cyl. (16mm. bore) - Part 08-0265

Jim and Mailman like this.
  9. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

What did you think they would tell you ? Not to buy their parts? Lol
    Your stock master cylinder would have been a fine choice to use with the added left disc setup assuming you are using XS style matching single piston calipers.

Paul Sutton, AndersJ and Jim like this.
  10. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Yes, the stock 14mm MC is actually a bit too big for one disc but it's said it works well with two.

Paul Sutton likes this.
  11. Jim

I converted mine to dual disk with the single OEM master. Works great. Nice progressive feel and enough power to lock the front tire. Have a read here.

100.jpg

Boog, Paul Sutton, Mailman and 2 others like this.
  12. fredintoon

Hi Jim,
    me too with that same dual disk set up. Did mine 12+ years ago. Front wheel lock on dry pavement if you squeeze hard enough.
    As you gotta do when pickups cut in front of you.
    Got a theory why some pickup drivers always wear ball caps. It hides the circumcision scar.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  13. Machine

20200817_081141.jpg
    ;) fyi I let my red hair fly in the wind

14. fredintoon

Hi Machine,
    perhaps you should pull up your zipper before you drive? Lest an EMT finds you unconscious after a collision?

Paul Sutton, Mailman and GLJ like this.
  15. Machine

16. KennyD77

KennyD77 77 D Model

If you can find 1/8 Left hand drill bits, a lot of times when you start to drill it will grab the plug and spin it right out. My two cents. Hope it works out for you.

17. rbirkey

Hey all,

I have rebuilt the stock master cylinder and it feels like it is working as it should. I have installed all new front brake lines and am now trying to fill the new front system with brake fluid and bleed the air. So far, I've spent several hours trying to get the air out and get the system working. No success.

I'm using a compressed air tool that sucks the open bleeder valve, while keeping the master cylinder topped up with fluid. It works great on my Triumph Bonnevilles but so far, no luck on this setup.

I am wondering if the used left front caliper is the issue. The piston is pretty tight, and doesn't want to move very easily. I've had it apart and cleaned the crap all out, and the piston has some pitting around the seal section. Maybe I need to replace the piston and the inner seal?

Any suggestions?

left-front-brake-line.jpg
    new-dble-banjo-bolt.jpg
    brake-crap.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    Boog and Mailman like this.
  18. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

What you especially need to clean out is the groove for the square section o-ring "seal". If there's crust built up in it, it will force the "seal" out more and make the piston stick.

rbirkey and Paul Sutton like this.
  19. Machine

Been wondering for quite awhile about if using the original caliper hose (hoses) junction in a dual line application, does clearance above the front fender still allow for the forks to be raised in the triple clamps any higher than flush ?
    20200902_120846.jpg
    Or can a guy expect a dented front fender on a pot hole hit lol..

Boog and Mailman like this.
  20. rbirkey

Rechecked the caliper seal ring and slot and it is clean and in good shape. Now I am trying to put everything back together from the bottom up and filling each section with brake fluid as much as I can as I go. Hopefully that will be enough to start getting some pressure so I can bleed it.

Paul Sutton and Mailman like this.