1982 Special - Leak from cam chain cover

Reaction score
I have an '82 special that has a nagging oil leak from the 6 bolt cover that houses that cam chain tension adjuster. The leak appears to be coming from the top right 2 bolts. I've tried a new gasket, but I think the issue is that I can't crank down hard enough on the bolts. I got new bolts as the originals were heat-warped but they started to strip the housing in the engine case. I'm thinking about getting some longer bolts to get past the stripped threads and really be able to crank that sucker down. Anyone experienced this issue before and have a suggestion? Also I'm curious what the purpose of this cover is, been such a headache I wish the cam chain adjuster just fit straight into the case!

Hi, sounds like the bolts have been over tightened at some point in its life. Those bolts dont require a great deal of torque at all. Not sure what you mean by heat warped. If memory serves me right, those are blind tapped holes so longer bolts may not be the answer. The proper repair in this would be to fit a helicoil or such like other repair. However, you could try other repairs such as a liquid metal which may just repair the threads to get enough purchase and nip up the gasket

Just check that the cam tensioner plate is flat - pop it of and put a steel rule across it

Good advice from Paulrxs650.

Quote: "really be able to crank that sucker down."

No, you don't want to use excessive torque on those bolts. Someone has already done that, and may have damaged the threads.Those are 6 mm bolts and torque should only be 84 inch-lbs maximum.

A first step may be to use some Threebond 1104 applied to the gasket, and be gentle on the bolts.

Paulrxs650 what I meant by "heat warped" was the old bolts appeared thin and brittle in the middle and fatter in diameter at the thread end. I ended up breaking one at one point. RetiredGentleman thanks for the input as well, I had read elsewhere the torque was around 8 lbs. I'll give the liquid metal a shot with some 1/4" longer bolts and see how that works out. There was definitely some caked on old gasket on the plate that I scraped off but I'll go over it again to make sure the surface is smooth and level. I've just been using the paper-type gasket from Mikes. Is there a better option out there?

Paulrxs650 what I meant by "heat warped" was the old bolts appeared thin and brittle in the middle and fatter in diameter at the thread end. I ended up breaking one at one point. RetiredGentleman thanks for the input as well, I had read elsewhere the torque was around 8 lbs. I'll give the liquid metal a shot with some 1/4" longer bolts and see how that works out. There was definitely some caked on old gasket on the plate that I scraped off but I'll go over it again to make sure the surface is smooth and level. I've just been using the paper-type gasket from Mikes. Is there a better option out there?

8 ft-lbs is too much. 7 ft-lbs maximum.

Whenever you use a new gasket, the surface of both mating items must be super clean, with no left over gasket material. Normally a paper gasket is all that is needed, and they normally are leak free.

8 ft-lbs is too much. 7 ft-lbs maximum.

Whenever you use a new gasket, the surface of both mating items must be super clean, with no left over gasket material. Normally a paper gasket is all that is needed, and they normally are leak free.
Thanks for the help! Got both mating surfaces clean and level and it sealed up! Now just need to fix 2 tiny drips from the cam chain lock nut and the neutral switch.

Back