For Sale - 1982 XS 650 strong runner, clean title, everything works

Rashbeard

Fresh... bananas.
Reaction score
[sold]

This was my first motorcycle - a black 1982 Yamaha XS650, which I've invested in to get it running great and reliably. Clean title, currently registered and insured in CO.

I bought it in 2010 with ~30k miles on the clock, now it is at 32.3k and running stronger than ever. See some videos of everything working and running:

and a full album of photos: https://plus.google.com/photos/118421148308659086347/albums/6033803856394272369

Here are some items I've invested in:

- New Shinko rear tire, deep tread. New tubes front/back.
- New front brake caliper, pad, master cylinder, and stainless brake line. Brake is very firm. Bike stops as well as it did in 1982, I bet (which, admittedly, isn't amazing).
- Carbs professionally rebuilt in 2011 by Precision Motorcycle Services in Santa Barbara, CA.
- New single-side exhaust system from MikesXS - sounds great (check out the videos).
- New chain.
- New AGM glass-mat sealed battery.
- New modern spade-fuse block (replaced terrible glass-tube fuses).
- New weighted handlebar (less vibration to your palms at highway speeds), new grips.

These recent improvements add up to well over $1000, apart from the bike itself. $630 in receipts from MikesXS alone in the last couple years. Some other nice details:

- All systems work: horn, blinkers, choke, gauges, indicators, brakes, kick & electric start, headlight hi/lo, same (original) key for starting, fuel tank, and seat removal.
- I always winterize it properly.
- Seat in perfect shape.
- Engine runs beautifully. Strong torque, blasts along on the freeway with no trouble.

I've fixed the worst parts of the electronics so you don't have to.

And, some less-than-amazing details:

- The paint shows its age. Tank is nicked, scratched, and has a few dimples (no major dents though).
- It has the typical slow oil leak from the clutch pushrod bushing (see Q#14 here: http://www.mikesxs.net/faq.html). It doesn't leak enough to get anywhere near needing a top-off between oil changes, but the engine certainly gets grimy.
- The front tire is, how to say, not new.
- The plastic side covers have some missing lugs and cracks/scratches, the tank emblem has a crack. These are all replaceable if you care.

The reason I'm selling is, my wife and I have two motorcycles plus a new baby in the family now. Since we can't foresee a time we'll need both bikes simultaneously until about 2025, we need to pare down to one, and this is the one that's got to go. Lucky for you!

I've listed it locally (in Boulder, Colorado) for $1982, so that's the price I'm listing here, but I'm open to offers. cheers -Ethan

Attachments

• right03.jpg
    right03.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 114
  • frontquart02.JPG
    frontquart02.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 95
  • left01.jpg
    left01.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 103
  • rearwquart.JPG
    rearwquart.JPG