1982 XS Heritage Special - Cafe Conversion Progress

Crashomon

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, many thanks for the advice i've picked up from here. I love this forum and it has been two years since I first got this bike. It was a little rough, but it was complete. The goal here is to convert the bike but without permanent changes to frame. I kept the stock seat and rear pegs so I can still ride two up.

So, here is the latest update with before/after photos! Hopefully this inspires others.

Purchased this 1982 Yamaha XS650 Heritage Special on April 28th, 2015, with 9200 miles and here's some pix of it today. Its been a long few years, but Black Betty IS beginning to be realized as a Cafe Style XS650. A few more things remain, such as tail light, rear signals and cleaning up wiring. But I CANNOT WAIT to have this out and about! #MarchMotoMadness.

Updated parts:
  • Superbike style handlebars
  • Progressive front fork springs (great improvement in handling!)
  • Progressive rear shocks +2"
  • Sudco Carb kit with individual Air Filters (Mikuni VM34 carbs)
  • PMA charging system (from Hughes Handbuilt)
  • Pingel petcock
  • Hooligan Exhaust Pipe system (Omar's came unpainted, but had them 'bead blasted at Kiwi As, LLC, and then PowderCoated at Loko Coatings, Oak Lawn, IL)
  • Steel braided front brake line
  • New clutch fiber plates
  • Pamco High Output Standard Ignition Kit
  • Carb Tuning and Engine work by Moto Mania, Inc (Chicago)
This is not a cheap hobby, but it sure is satisfying and runs and handles MUCH better than stock! #59Club

TO DO: rear taillight, possible 18" rear wheel conversion, paint job (yamaha speed block design, but white on black)

before-after-right-side-82-xs650.png xs650-march-9-2017-new-exhaust-cafe-seat.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Crashomon - I'm doing essentially the same thing on my '81 Special. Your's is looking very nice indeed!

Pete

Yep, looks good.
Tail light......any of those Special rear fenders with the lift off seat lend themselves well to the Lucas style repro lamps. Just need to blacken the chrome body of the lamp to match the theme. $.02

April 2017 Updates: Rear Turn Signal

Modified license light holder to become new stoplight/ license light. Retains all stock mounts so I can restore to stock easily.
Original Taillight Bracket had to be modified so I could retain stock mounting location and keep wires under fender.
Added rear LED turn signals to clean up the rear (screws right into stock location)
Replace T/S Flasher Relay with LL552 from AutoZone (two prong, works great, but no more auto-cancel, which is fine by me)

Next up will be front turn signals and 'blackened muffler brackets. But for now, lets go ride!

rear-view-new-taillight-seat-april-2017.jpg right-view-new-taillight-seat-april-2017.jpg left-view-new-taillight-seat-april-2017.jpg taillight-original-with-wires.jpg taillight-original.jpg

July 2017 Update: front brembo install.

Got the pandemonium front master and bracket kit. Ordered Custom Line from Galfer (very reasonable at less than $60) and installed Brembo caliper from DucPower.

Tip: make sure to order M1 And M1.25 banjo bolts as Brembo is not same thread pitch as Nissin master cylinder. (now I just gotta paint over the 'filed down bits' on the Brembo)

Holy stopping power, batman!

IMG_6762.JPG IMG_7045.JPG IMG_7044.JPG

Back