1982 XS650 build, engine cuts out when I put it in gear

Jeff F

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have relied on this forum during my build over the past six months and just joined. My 1982 xs650 will start in neutral, but if I let it warm up and change into first or second, the engine cuts off immediately. It feels like a side stand switch cutoff, but I've looked back through my photos (I have a lot) and spare parts and I don't believe I ever had a side stand switch.

I rewired the bike with a motogadget m-unit and my own loom, and I have been told by a reliable source (I believe) that my wiring diagram looks correct, but that was before I had this issue.

Looking on the forum, it looks like '82 models had a side stand switch. If I don't have one (or if I should have one), are there wires I can jump to bypass this issue? Is there something else that could be the problem? Thanks in advance for any answers.

Has the bike been sitting for a while? When it cuts out does it feel like its stalled as though you dumped the clutch, or does it just cut out clean? Sometimes if a bike sites the clutch plates can become stuck together & it won't let you drop into gear without stalling. You can fix it by taking of the side cover and prying them apart to break the connection a bit (which is a pain), or you can try and put the bike in 1st gear (engine off), and rock it back and forth. You'll feel resistance until it loosens up. You'll be able to move around in gear with the lever pulled.

Has the bike been sitting for a while? When it cuts out does it feel like its stalled as though you dumped the clutch, or does it just cut out clean? Sometimes if a bike sites the clutch plates can become stuck together & it won't let you drop into gear without stalling. You can fix it by taking of the side cover and prying them apart to break the connection a bit (which is a pain), or you can try and put the bike in 1st gear (engine off), and rock it back and forth. You'll feel resistance until it loosens up. You'll be able to move around in gear with the lever pulled.
Thanks. It just cuts out clean, not like a stall. It sat for about seven months--I rode it home when I bought it in May and just started it for the first time since then a couple of days ago. I'll try the rock back and forth method first and see if that changes anything.

Does it lurch forward like the clutch is sticking or dragging when you drop it in gear, or just die like you turned the key off? If it lurches forward, the clutch plates are sticking. You can also use the kick starter to free them. Pull the clutch lever in and start kicking. If, or when the plates are free, the kicker will just push down through it's stroke without turning the motor over.

This isn't my department, but there's a tie-in of the neutral switch to the sidestand relay, which will disable the ignition.

XS650SJ-Ignition02.jpg

The factory side stand switch is connected to the "8th" terminal on the 8 wire TCI plug. This wire can be simply cut or removed. It is a black wire (one of two black wires in the connector) there is no wire on the connector terminal opposite the wire connection you want to eliminate.

I have this same problem with my 1982, just began when I was starting bike to move to the barn for the winter. Will address the problem in the spring.

my first thought was the same as 2Ms
the neutral switch must be shorting a live feed to ground somewhere.

is the engine cutting out when the clutch is pulled ? or when the gear is changed?
Try.disconnecting the wire to the neutral switch on the casing and see if it still cuts out when put into gear.

Just had a look at the electrical schematic and it looks like there are 2x circuits involved here which are polarity separated by a diode presumably encapsulated in the loom somewhere
circuit 1:- neutral switch , neutral warning light , reserve light relay, starter cutoff relay (all light blue wiring).
Circuit 2 :- Clutch switch & side stand relay. (all blue/yellow wiring)
these two circuits are joined within the loom by what looks like a diode ? (very poor image resolution) ,which only permits current flow in one direction.

If the diode is not fitted or is the wrong way round then pulling in the clutch or changing gear will short the neutral switch circuit to ground via the clutch switch and side stand circuit.

If disconnecting the neutral switch doesn't rectify the problem then try also disconnecting the clutch switch

Last edited:
Back