1983 Heritage Special Full Throttle Issue

AHRMA Racer

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

New to the site and XS650's, but I have ridden dirt bikes since 1976. I thought I was a decent mechanic but my "new" XS650 has me confounded.

Here's the deal: 1983 Heritage Special, all stock and original 14,000 miles, fairly good shape. Sat for some time before I bought it.

Cleaned the carbs and put a new battery in it, did a general servicing. Started right up, idles great, excellent response with no hesitation, runs and rides just fine. I have ridden it about 300 miles with no other issues, aside from what I'll describe below. Great story, right?

Here is the problem: It doesn't want to rev over 4,000-4,500 RPM. The left bank misfires as if it is running rich, plug is slightly black. In fact, the day I did ride it on a 240 mile ride, I had my brother take it with me following. When it hits the 4,000-4,500 range it stumbles and puffs a little black smoke out the left exhaust and it smells like fuel, so I think it is a carburetor problem.

Here's another odd thing. You can whack the throttle wide open clear in the basement and it will run perfectly and pull had up to the 4,000 rpm point where it starts to stumble and miss, so it is not throttle position all the time.

Ignition? Iread that the TCI coils randomly fail and will cause symptioms like this, so I replaced it with a Mike's High output coil. ZERO effect.

Any clue or anyone have this issue before?

This is not a FOR sure thing but worth an experiment. charge your battery fully, unplug the regulator and see if she revs with power all the way. There is some conjecture that the timing magnet for the pickups can be overpowered by the charging magnetic field. The "timing magnet's" strength may have weakened over time. There are also a few components inside the TCI that start to fail with age. A fairly simple carbs vs. ignition test would be to switch plug leads side to side. As always new plugs are a worthy experiment. I also smell that your carb cleaning, replace float valves, set float heights, check for cracked, leaking floats, clean every passage, jet, and orifice may not have been as complete as these old bikes often demand. Good luck, keep us informed on what you discover.

Back