1983 XS 650 Special Build

Yes, you do need a jumper wire when removing the clutch safety relay .....

bJwJB3o.jpg

..... but for the side stand relay and switch, no jumpers are needed, simply remove the stuff .....

6a0usoz.jpg

The side stand relay acts upon the B/W wire coming from the TCI. This is that extra 7th wire on the 7 wire units. The relay grounds it out which kills the spark. Remove the relay and there's no way to ground the wire and kill the spark.

Thank you 5T, previous user had done some of those mods so I now have a good reference. And the reason for the 7 wire TCI is now clear.

The forks and wheels are finally on, but not before the sun set and I had to photo it inside. Had the rear wheel on and then saw I had not installed the chain guard, laid it on the side to pop off shock and saw that PO had only put 2 bolts in the starter, then bolted in the brake anchor and actuation rod, added in the plastic lower fender.
Set it back upright and put the front end together, I will need to add in a spacer to get the headlights ears tightened up.

Attachments

• 20181213_174612.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 203
  • 20181213_174635.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 189
Have not yet figured how to replace those little balls and springs on the choke rod for the BS34's.

Let me tell ya folks - Lakeview is a tiger for work on his bikes and he’s fast and inventive. Every time I stop in on him, he gotten so much done, it amazes me.

Lakeview - I think I can help you with those balls in the choke mechanism. The next time you come to town - let me know and try to bring the carbs along and I think we can solve that one.

Pete

Last edited:
Sunny Day Mock-Up
Installed the exhaust system today (outside in December!!) and with the other work done since I last reported, decided to see whether my imagination may be supported by reality.20181216_135950-1.jpg

Attachments

• 20181216_140007-1.jpg
    20181216_140007-1.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 188
  • 20181216_141508.jpg
    20181216_141508.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 224
I like it so I am freshly inspired. Going to order a right hand bar switch as all my spares have headlight switches on them and the wire ends are different.
I may work on the 76 that has been waiting for my attention for a couple years. Did a top end refresh and need to get it ready for a first start.

Attachments

• 20181216_142216.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 199
You can use the headlight switch version, in fact I would consider that an upgrade. I plan to put one on my '83 eventually. I've worked out all the wiring changes in my head to utilize mostly existing wires. Just a few short jumper wires and some wire taps will be needed. I'll explain it to you if you're interested. Since you're building the bike up basically from scratch, now would be the time to do stuff like this.

Yup, that’s what I’d do too. The ‘81 cafe bike is going to have ‘77 style switches with a headlight off capability.

The Special looks really nice Lakeview!

Pete

Last edited:
Thanks 5T, the bike is being built for resale so I have decided to keep it as stock as possible and let the new owner personalize it. Going through my parts box and found an unfaded right side switch set so am all set!

Plan Ahead!
20181225_122212.jpg

Even with the instruments off, still could not get my fingers to start the small bolts.
Also, chase the overspray out of the threads
before access is crowded.

Today I was able to do a compression test. Both sides similar and only a small bump up with a couple squirts of oil, but more importantly, the starter functioned flawlessly! No grinding or skipping or any of the usual horrible noises.

Now back to finishing the wiring connections.

Another unseasonably warm day in Kent County. Garage door was open till an hour before sunset and I adjusted the cam chain, checked valve clearances and installed the carbs. Still no action from the button ( but the neutral light works!) so I will switch out the black bars for a set of chrome ones even though it looks like the bar switches have a dedicated ground into the harness.

Pulled the snow thrower out of a shed and stuck the push mower in its place. Pretty chuffed as my tag on the snow blower says "March 23 2018 - oil and plugs changed, tank filled with V Power and carb run dry"

It started second pull - being retired means ya can take that extra half hour to do it right.

Attachments

• 20181228_175349.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 153
Hopefully you’ll get some use out of that blower this year Lakeview!

Pete

20181229_112551.jpg
By Popular Demand
Here is my orphan machine which must have been originally tested in San Diego, as the engineers put electric motors on the chute rotator and arc gate which regularly freeze during use.
The need to accurately direct snow between parked cars, city sidewalks and the neighbour's property is not quite as important since moving to the country, so I usually suffer with where the arc last froze and disconnect the rotator motor so the chute swings freely. Then I have a piece of round rod looped into the top of the chute which sorta keeps the snow going in the direction I want.
Snow fun!

Last edited:
Back