1983 XS650 Project

Here is where I am at so far. Engine is still revving but I know it has something to do with the throttle cable, probably how it is routed. Stripped the paint off the tank as it was all chipped and rusting, primed and clear coated for now. Figuring out what to do for some side panels.

Attachments

• XS650_042016_b.jpg
    XS650_042016_b.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 179
  • XS650_042016.jpg
    XS650_042016.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 176
I updated that thread to include a pic of that bike's handlebars ( a bit blurry), let us know if any of this helps?

I updated that thread to include a pic of that bike's handlebars ( a bit blurry), let us know if any of this helps?

Rerouted the clutch and throttle cables and it is a big difference. The clutch lever has never been this easy to operate, and the engine is idling smoothly without revving. For now....
Just went on a great little ride around town. Once again, thank you for the help.

The horn stopped working, is there something obvious I should be looking for?

Hi shade,
if it's the stock horn, pull it and carefully save it for it's originality feature; it's pathetic bleat isn't audible above the XS650's exhaust note anyway.
Then fit a Stebel-Nautilus, Wolo badboy or other aftermarket horn that puts out at least 110+dB.
Any horn that's loud enough for a soccer mom or other blind/deaf/distracted road user to hear will come with a relay and wiring diagram.
Doubtless you'll find if the original horn just plain quit or had a wiring problem during the replacement horn's installation.

Still haven't resolved the horn issue but just wanted to check in. Took the bike out for about a 30 mile ride last evening. Perfect summer night and it was a great ride. The bike is running very well.

Back