2 into 1 Intake crossover

bearcat

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
A friend built this intake for me and the main problem is that the intake tube for the left cylinder is way shorter than the right. Consequently, the left cylinder is running richer than the right. Without remaking the intake, I shoved a piece of 1" id. gas tubing inside the right intake, trying to decrease volume and increase fuel in the right cylinder. It fit snugly inside and did help. Then I got the bright idea of making an intake gasket with a 3/4 hole in the intake gasket on the right side, didn't have a huge effect, but still didn't cure the problem. May not be good for the engine either. I'd posted my bike earlier, but I'll throw in a more recent pic. The bike flies with the 40mm Lectron, but it won't pass emissions here in AZ, due to the minor imbalance in the fuel flow. I did check the compression and had close to 150 in both cylinders. Anyway I thought I'd throw this out and see if anyone has any advise.

Attachments

• 2012-06-22 05.58.55.jpg
    2012-06-22 05.58.55.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 1,058
  • IMG_3290.jpg
    IMG_3290.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 686
That would be to easy and nothing about this has been easy. I've had to learn the hard way a few times on this, my 1st build. I'd have to scrap the exhaust and not willing to go there yet. I'll figure it out 1 way or the other. I hoping for something I don't already know?

Shit man that is a nice looking ride !!!

I know nothing really about the 2 to 1 intake except that the only one I would use is made by joewiseguy, for sale on ebay and I think also has a web site, this is the only consistent maker of these intakes I have seen.

Again, that's a fucking nice looking bike.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. I've seen those intakes and came close to buying 1. I wanted to do this myself. Always going to learn a lesson from it. It runs out like bat out of hell, but just doesn't idle perfect, especially on the richer side of the intake. I'd love to try his just to see the difference $$? Not be critical of his design but didn't want it sticking out at all if I could help it

Hey bearcat,
This reminds me of Harley manifold experiments.
How about a small flow diverter/vane, on the left side, between the carb and the 'Y'?
It would bias the flow to the right side, and make the left appear as a longer path.

Honestly, outside of remaking the whole thing, that is probably the last best option. I had thought of it before I started down the path of restricting the longer side. That makes more sense because the short side is more of a straight shot, which is making things worse. I'd never heard of the Harley experiment, but I am going to give it a shot. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for your comment

I'd love to see a picture of it if you know where to find it. So would you restrict the rich side and divert to the lean side?

You know, back then, 'posting pics' didn't exist, that would've been science fiction stuff. Somebody may have some old polaroids, not sure. However, deflection vane experiments for creating 'stratified swirl' may have pics online. One book I have (from 1962) has 'swirl stratified' in the title, could be out there. You're entering 'experiment land', do what makes sense to you, as long as it doesn't get sucked into the engine...

I run a wiseguy 2 into 1 with a vm36. Bike runs great, one kick bitch and pulls super hard!! Haters gonna hate...

When the time comes, i am getting his street tracker 2:1.
Did you have any problems getting it dialed in?
Or did Joe give all required set up info?
Let them hate, it's all they got :laugh:

A friend built this intake for me and the main problem is that the intake tube for the left cylinder is way shorter than the right. Consequently, the left cylinder is running richer than the right. Without remaking the intake, I shoved a piece of 1" id. gas tubing inside the right intake, trying to decrease volume and increase fuel in the right cylinder. It fit snugly inside and did help. Then I got the bright idea of making an intake gasket with a 3/4 hole in the intake gasket on the right side, didn't have a huge effect, but still didn't cure the problem. May not be good for the engine either. I'd posted my bike earlier, but I'll throw in a more recent pic. The bike flies with the 40mm Lectron, but it won't pass emissions here in AZ, due to the minor imbalance in the fuel flow. I did check the compression and had close to 150 in both cylinders. Anyway I thought I'd throw this out and see if anyone has any advise.

Wiseguy makes & sells 2:1 intakes and is a member here.
He may reply and share some of his hard earned knowledge with you, not sure.
I hope you get it worked out.
:bike:

Got a good tip today from a friend. He suggested running a 1/4" tube as a crossover, equalizing the pressure in both intake tubes. Definitely looking to try it. I'll post the results.

No doubt it sucks. Arizona passed the legislation to do away with emmisions on motorcycles completely several years ago and they won"t enact it. Something to do with loosing funding by the EPA standards. Bunch of low life's. Supposed to be gone by the end of this 1st quarter, that came and went? Your going to get me started. I wouldn't have even screwed with the intake. It wasn't that noticeable. Now I'm all ticked about that again, crap..........

Got a good tip today from a friend. He suggested running a 1/4" tube as a crossover, equalizing the pressure in both intake tubes. Definitely looking to try it. I'll post the results.

Cross overs are a band-aid for what ails a inefficient runner design of unequal lengths that transmit poor fuel distribution amongst the cylinders:banghead:

Back