2 into 1 intake manifold

lol no way man i love workin on bikes man. just to sit daown and figure out a way to make somethin work with what you have shit thats the best part. i am lookin for a good lower end. my trans is about shot and i dont realy wana split the cases but if i have to i will.

Joe -

I have been following your work on two-into-one conversions. I have a near-stock '73 mild cafe roadster (please see my gallery if you like) that I have come a long way with since I bought it as a non-runner.

But the bike has a persistent, intermittent fuel delivery problem that I am convinced has to do with these moody, eccentric, pain-in-the-ass BS38s. I have had them apart for cleaning and replacement of this and that more times than I can recall in the past three years. Sometimes the bike runs stellarly... next day... hell, next hour... runs like crap. I'm convinced it's carburetion. I'm tired, man. :( Tired. :(

I'm seriously considering going to one carb and getting away from this synching and dual throttle cable nonsense. Sick to death of chasing my tail. So, I was wondering if you could tell me what kind of set up might be best, whether you think it would work technically and aesthetically with my bike. And what I would need to make it happen (for instance, could I simply remove one throttle cable and keep my existing throttle?)? And I'm a bit worried about whether the intake will clear the front of my left side (pod) cover.

Admittedly, I'm in the research phase, but I'm just done, man. :( These carbs are for the birds.

Thank you -

TC

Oh, I should add that I'm running the stock tank with dual manual petcocks, that I'd keep. So I suppose I'd have to have a "Y" in-line filter or something, right? And with a 376mm round slide and my short reverse cones, what kind of jetting would get me close? I suppose I should get the carb from Mike Morse pre-jetted if I go this route.

You make this look easy...

Last edited:
dude i could make you one cheap. let me know what kinda carb you want to run and ill make you one just like mine outta ss tubing for cheap
Do you have any experience with Virago's? There is a big movement to run single carbs on them And I just happen to have one. They use a 40mm carb.

TC before you give up on the 38's try the newer ones off 78 or a 79. I have a pair that you may try and a single throttle if you like to try. I am not sure of their condition but They do look clean. Pm if you want to try. Of course no charge unless you decide to keep them. Good luck. The other TC

Tony, that's very kind of you. I can't say I won't take you up on it, but at this point, I think that the many variables involved in getting two carbs to hold hands and play nice are just no longer worth it for me. I have this pretty bike that is often unrideable - I'm almost completely certain that it's these #$@$@%#% carbs - and I'm wanting to reduce the unknowns. I would be willing to undertake the expense of a cafe setup from Joe just to get these 38s out of my life. I'm sick of them. Also, it would be nice to be able to get to the carb without constantly pulling it off.

I'll keep your offer in mind, though.

TC

everyday12s, how thick is the wall on yer stainless tubing??? I got a small cache Ive been using for exhaust.....And if I was to build a SS intake, could I send it to you to polish??? :D:D

Guys -

After more thinking, I'm pretty close to ready to pull the trigger on a two into one intake street tracker, ceramic chrome, from Wiseguy. But my bike is stock except for shorty reverse cones and pods, and after a lot of reading, I think I should order a Mikuni 36mm, but with what jetting, etc.? What is "standard jetting"? I want to try to get as close as I can out of the box. I'd like to get a baselined carb, but where is the best place to get it?

I could possibly have my bike dialed in before winter if I do this now.

Thanks...

TC

T.C. Try Joe's he has built several. Let us know how it works. I will be firing mine up again on my test stand. I just finished buttoning the lower end. I may try to run the 38's to test them. I have round slides Mikuni's from 650Central that I have dialed in. If everything goes well I may put the engine in the frame. Good luck. The other T.C.

Tony, I just ordered the intake (cafe type) from Joe (Wiseguy's). But does he have the carbs as well? I didn't see any on his Ebay store.

Good luck with your project, Tony. Let me know how the testing goes. I need a carb now and to install and sort out the throttle cable (hope I can just use my left existing one) and I'll hope it works.

TC

Guys, this is the carb I'm considering ordering for use on Joe's cafe intake. If you look at the specs, it has a 35 pilot and a 310 main. Will the main be too big, or should I try to get a 210 for it. Also, are these jets something I can get at my local bike shop?

Thank you.

TC

Well, I'm committed. I hope to have my parts (intake, 36mm Mikuni RS with a 35 pilot/ordered a 200 and a 210 main) this week with any luck.

I'll likely need help, but am looking forward to this.

TC

T, I'm following this thread because I'm looking to do the same thing keep us posted. If you don't mind me asking what did the whole single carb and intake cost you?

Guys, this is the carb I'm considering ordering for use on Joe's cafe intake. If you look at the specs, it has a 35 pilot and a 310 main. Will the main be too big, or should I try to get a 210 for it. Also, are these jets something I can get at my local bike shop?

Thank you.

TC

Browsing at his Ebay prices,I sure hope he's mailing you a big kiss,christ I can buy a aluminum V8 intake for a whole lot less money:banghead:,your money though but you made a wise choice in carb selection not sure on the jetting for the RS with the 2 to 1,you'll be the first one.

Hion, I'm hoping to get it together and get it dialed in for a bit under $400.00 I'll ask for help (if I need it) and update in this thread.

Jack, I hear you on the cost. But you have NO IDEA what these dual BS38s have cost me in sweat equity, aggravation, and WASTED time. WASTED. So if I end up with a rideable bike, after having tried every other thing that I (and others here) can think of to get these moody, indecipherable lumps of schlag metal to work, I'll consider it a bargain.

TC

A couple of other things to remember about the cost is that these aren't high-production items. They're hand-made, ceramic coated low-volume pieces. Higher production runs cost less because volume decreases the cost of materials, labor and time. A factory might pump out 100 or 1000 aluminum manifolds in the time it takes to produce 1 handmade manifold.
On top of that you do have to take supply-and-demand into account. He's one of a few guys making these for sale, so cost is going to be more. I wouldn't pay that much because I can make one myself, but for TeeCat or anyone else either not able, or just not interested in the work, it's not unreasonable.
He makes quality stuff and is, from everything I've heard and read, a stand-up guy. So, he's trying to make some coin... you can do that if you have skills and products that are in demand. More power to him, I say.

A couple of other things to remember about the cost is that these aren't high-production items. They're hand-made, ceramic coated low-volume pieces. Higher production runs cost less because volume decreases the cost of materials, labor and time. A factory might pump out 100 or 1000 aluminum manifolds in the time it takes to produce 1 handmade manifold.
On top of that you do have to take supply-and-demand into account. He's one of a few guys making these for sale, so cost is going to be more. I wouldn't pay that much because I can make one myself, but for TeeCat or anyone else either not able, or just not interested in the work, it's not unreasonable.
He makes quality stuff and is, from everything I've heard and read, a stand-up guy. So, he's trying to make some coin... you can do that if you have skills and products that are in demand. More power to him, I say.

Here here, Teebs! And from what I have seen here, he's also willing to help me get the setup dialed in. And at this point, as much time and effort as I have in the bike, if it works out well, I'll be thrilled and have no trouble absorbing that expense. And there are also the bennies of having something a little bit trick, and having learned something.

Fingers crossed. Now we wait for parts.

TC

Jack, now I'll be up every night staring into the dark waiting for the parts. I hate the waiting part. :(
Yup! but look at the energy you'll be saving:D Been staring in the darkside myself for two years,doubt my vision will ever return normal:laugh:

Jack, we're on the same wavelength. :p

Guys, I'm running through this conversion process in my head, and I have a few questions about the VMs:

- It will come with a 35 pilot, which I'm told will be okay, but it will also have a 310 main which will be too big, almost certainly. I ordered a 200 and a 210. Anyone familiar with swapping them out? I have never had a RS in my hand before. So I'm looking for a baseline that will allow me to get really close. Stock motor, shorty reverse cones.

- I currently run two throttle cables... one to each BS38... with cafe bars. Good frikking riddance to two cables. ACK!! :( I am wanting to use my same throttle, though, and I imagine I can use just one cable. But is it possible that my left stock cable will work with the RS in terms of length and fitment to the carb, or will I need a dedicated cable? And is that something that my local shop might have?

Thank you!

TC

Back