2 into 1 intake manifold

i have an 82 virago 750 here that i will be building two into one intakes for this winter. it is a good runner but the carbs suck. yes suck way worse then the stock xs setup. been trying to get to makeing intakes for it all summer. looks like i got a break coming in october so ill get er done then.

you only need to run one petcock. the tank will cross over. the intake has a plug that can be removed for use with vacuum petcocks. yours is on the way as i write this.

the 35 will probably be too big for a pilot on this intake. most use a 25 to start and move to a 27.5 if needed. a couple have gone to the 30 and moved the needle. the majority use the 200 main and some have bumped it to 210. overall that is the range used from the uk, australia, canada, and here in the states. this is of course for the VM 36mm mikuni roundslide carb.

thanks for all the good comments from you all. my intakes are all hand made. i have seen similar intakes sell on other models for twice what i charge and not look as good.

I have built jigs with motors to help speed up fabrication time but it is still a slow process. i have experimented with different coatings and find that ceramic chrome the best overall for fuel and sunlight forgiveness. and it will polish up if it gets dull just like aluminum.

i have experimented with diffferent applications form mild to wild to see what will work and what just looks good. there again once i have made a model that works it will surely be copied by someone thinking they will get rich selling xs intakes.

jack i havent dont a dyno yet. i probably wont for a couple of reasons i am not sure i have mentioned in the past but will now. i work out of my home garage since i had to close my shop down early this year. saying the space is small is saying a lot. i already have competitors in several products i make and since i cannot pattent an intake it would work against me if i took the time and money to work out dyno results. my competitors would just use my results against me in competing sales.

i have sold ooooh about 80 or maybe 90 intakes now in two different styles for the two into one and have never had anything but praise from the customers. i use them on my custom builds too. once i had a customer that required more after care with tech support then any of the others but we found out his problem was ignition not carburetions. one other was using a chinese knockoff mikuni that he ended throwing away because we could not get it to jet properly. beware of cheap mikunis made in china. they are out there being sold in ebay and others.

i wish i could get my prices down by mass producing but the biggest deterent is that the xs650 is a 30 year old bike. that being said it is just too risky to setup and have these mass produced for possible sales. i make 20 to 30 a year now and it takes all year for them to sell. as it is a very minute population of xs riders are useing single carb setups. i suspect many more will change in the future if for nothing more then ease of operation and use of the mikuni vs the stock setups.

i also build underbraced, powdercoated, with bronze bushings swingarms .... about 20 to 30 a year maybe less and they take at least a year to sell. there will always be those out there that can make thier own and my hat is off to them. i do alot of hardtail frame work, and custom swingarm shock frame stuff. and build a couple of custom bikes a year. exhaust, handle bars, forward controls all play a role in what i turn out of my shop.

i am trying to make a living at building custom bikes with the xs650 and making parts for them that are otherwise not available. if i could i surely would be selling my stuff at cheaper prices but i have a mortgage too and the wife does like a little help with those pesky bills. anyway just letting you all know i am always available if you have questions about the stuff i make. best to ask me then to guess, and i most always have my phone on but if not my email never sleeps.

i plan to launch some new products for the xs this fall. so stay tuned. (punn intended)

joe-wiseguy
www.joewiseguy.com
www.wiseguyscustoms.com

joewiseguy@live.com
425-870-9377

A couple of other things to remember about the cost is that these aren't high-production items. They're hand-made, ceramic coated low-volume pieces. Higher production runs cost less because volume decreases the cost of materials, labor and time. A factory might pump out 100 or 1000 aluminum manifolds in the time it takes to produce 1 handmade manifold.
On top of that you do have to take supply-and-demand into account. He's one of a few guys making these for sale, so cost is going to be more. I wouldn't pay that much because I can make one myself, but for TeeCat or anyone else either not able, or just not interested in the work, it's not unreasonable.
He makes quality stuff and is, from everything I've heard and read, a stand-up guy. So, he's trying to make some coin... you can do that if you have skills and products that are in demand. More power to him, I say.

thanks i really appreciate your comments. i have been working with the xs650 now for almost 10 years. i have found for the most part that the owners and customers i have dealt with over those years are way above average good guys.....it is always good to see positive.

Jack -

I'll have to get a smaller pilot then. Hopefully I can get it locally.

Can I just go ahead and leave the plug in and run my two manual petcocks with a brass T? I really don't want to have to buy another petcock and remove the two perfectly good ones I have on the bike. They don't leak or anything and I'd like to not mess up a good thing if possible. That'd be easier for me to leave the petcocks alone, and I don't suppose there's any reason I can't just keep them both, right? That is to say that there is no requirement that I use a vacuum petcock, correct? I thought the plug was a provision for people who already are.

Looking forward to getting the parts!

TC

Last edited:
Jack -

I'll have to get a smaller pilot then. Hopefully I can get it locally.

Can I just go ahead and leave the plug in and run my two manual petcocks with a brass T? I really don't want to have to buy another petcock and remove the two perfectly good ones I have on the bike. They don't leak or anything and I'd like to not mess up a good thing if possible. That'd be easier for me to leave the petcocks alone, and I don't suppose there's any reason I can't just keep them both, right? That is to say that there is no requirement that I use a vacuum petcock, correct? I thought the plug was a provision for people who already are.

Looking forward to getting the parts!

TC

yes a tee to run both cocks is great. if your petcocks are non-vacuum type then leave the plug in the intake. finding jets for the vm mikunis is easy. any local cycle dealer will have them.

yes a tee to run both cocks is great. if your petcocks are non-vacuum type then leave the plug in the intake. finding jets for the vm mikunis is easy. any local cycle dealer will have them.

Joe... EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: On BOTH counts! Might stop by the bike shop on the way home and pick up a 25 pilot... the place is a mile and a half from me.

I can't wait to get these parts! Should have the carb on Thursday. :p Only thing that concerns me now is the cable situation... we'll see.

Thanks, Joe!

TC

I have the later linked carbs on my 75. I use just one cable from the stock two cable housing.
If where the cable hooks to your new carb is the same as the way it hooks to your stock carb, then one of your stock cables should work.
If the cable hooks to the new carb differently, then get a cable to fit the carb and it might fit your throttle.

Just received the manifold already! Wow... NICE piece! I actually pulled the BS38s and boots off and mocked up the new manifold... carb won't arrive til tomorrow.

Joe -question: the fit seems to be excellent, but I'm using allen head bolts and would like to re-use them, but the holes in the manifold flanges are a little bigger than the ones in the stock-type boots. Okay to use a lock washer under each allen bold head? And do I just snug them down by "feel"? Don't want to over-tighten them, especially with these thicker gaskets, and I can always check them later because of ease of access.

TC

Okay... spent the afternoon on the phone. NO ONE in or around Baltimore has a 25 pilot for a Mikuni VM 36mm RS. So, back to ordering and waiting. :banghead: Holding me up. :banghead: Can anyone tell me precisely what I need to order and suggest a good vendor? All this for a $4.00 part...

The carb will come with a 35 but I know that will be too big for my single carb conversion. But will it be so big that I'll foul my plugs before I even get it dialed in? Guess I could at least see if my stock cable will work in the interim... not sure of the ferrule will be compatible with the 36mm RS or if the cable will present a separate problem.

Thanks...

TC

Who sells these manifolds???????? Building a long rod motor and would like to run a single 38mm flatslide

alright jack,this is the first time i've ever posted anything on here,(new you see!).i've been designing and making various new parts for the xs650,started messing around making various one off parts when i was in my early 20s,now i'm having a more dedicated effort.the one into two inlet manifold is my latest design, it's cast in aluminium with a flange mounting that will take a standard xs carb rubber centered between the two pots for even distribution.this setup is for anyone who has the ability to modify the backbone of the frame or get it done proffesonally. im also making another manifold that bolts on in place of the carb rubber which comes out on the left hand side at 50 degrees which will miss the backbone, i'm making different flanges for fitting different carbs and these will be tig welded on. i will give you a shout when i'm ready to sell them, i'll probly put them on e-bay, thanks and all the best melv.

Attachments

• DSC01097.jpg
    DSC01097.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 560
  • DSC01098.jpg
    DSC01098.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 525
  • DSC01099.jpg
    DSC01099.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 1,558
  • DSC01101.jpg
    DSC01101.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 618
  • DSC01091.jpg
    DSC01091.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 691
  • DSC01107.jpg
    DSC01107.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 515
Melv.........I'm really lost for words here,those manifolds are the cat ass,just want I've been looking for cuz I've experimenting with D Shaping intake ports and your manifolds will allow me go in inside to weld the floor up matching it to the the intake floor. I'll pm ya my email.........Jack

Oh, thank you, Teebs! :) Sorry... I should have directed interested parties to my dedicated thread... apologies! :oops:

Pete, it's coming along, mehopes! Thanks for your interest! :)

TC

set mixture screw at 3 turns,reset slide needle to 3rd notch.hold yer face away in case she pops,but roll throttle on slow at first while looking in back of carb,if shes running rich an boggin her down you will see it pissin a ton of fuel.if it pops through carb its lean,if it pops out exhaust its rich..if its boggin because theres no fuel,go up in main jet in 2 to 4 increments at a time.if it only comes in 5s,210,215,220etc.once you get main dialed in if you still need more on top drop the c-clip on the slide needle down i notch..

I know this is now an old thread, but are you still making these?
It's EXACTLY what I've been looking for!
What other parts do you make?

Back