1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

2 into 2 exhaust options

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 650Burger, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

Videos are both very fun and useful. A ride video is on my list of things to do in the spring too..

2. arcticXS

arcticXS XS650 Guru Top Contributor

If MAC made 1 1/2" headpipes, I would be tempted to get their TT style 2-2, with the pipes tucked in under the engine. Mainly for the looks, and I think I could live without the center stand.

Bewarethemoon likes this.
  3. 650Burger

650Burger XS650 Enthusiast

NYC
    Lots of information to unpack here. I think I will go with the mike headers, now on to figure out which muffler...
    Since we're on the topic of exhausts, is there anything great about having a 2 into 1? Is there a performance gain?

4. grizld1

grizld1 Grumpy old man Top Contributor

Performance gain? Not where it counts. You won't see a 2-1 system on an XS650 race bike. On every 2-1 system I've seen, the second bend of a headpipe will find the asphalt in even moderately frisky cornering.

650Burger likes this.
  5. jay760

jay760 XS650 Junkie

I've got an old 2 into 1 on mine that wouldn't ground out as it runs down the center of the bike and comes out fairly high just in front of the back wheel, not sure why they seem to make them so you can't go around corners now

20200119_164218.jpg

6. arcticXS

I guess it has to do with retaining the center stand.....Cool bodywork BTW, Tracy?

650Burger likes this.
  7. MrBultaco

MrBultaco it ran before being parked Top Contributor

Colorado
    WOW Jay, a Tracy faring...very rare and looks great on your 650. :cheers:

8. Machine

20200311_091527.jpg
    Stock 79 Special mufflers tuck in nicely. The fit is clean looking. Although I have not yet heard these, I think it is fortunate to have an original exhaust system in good condition. I am curious as to why so many XS owners have replaced them ? Is it because of a desire for better ? Is it because the originals were worn out ?

MaxPete, thuban and 650Burger like this.
  9. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Because they're usually shot. They're either rusty to the point of having holes in them, or all dented and scraped up, or all of the above, lol. Besides, replacing a stock system can usually net performance gains if done right. The early stock systems aren't so bad but the later ones are more restrictive (once the E.P.A. stuck their nose into things).

MaxPete, thuban, MrBultaco and 2 others like this.
  10. NashGTI

NashGTI XS650 Addict

My bike had a crappy aftermarket exhaust when I bought it. I hated the sound and look of those mufflers so it was an easy decision.

11. jay760

jay760 XS650 Junkie

Yes it's a Tracy body, ive had a couple this ones a muck nicer shape

12. kshansen

kshansen XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

For me that is one of the biggest problems with old bikes, finding them with even usable exhausts. I've been lucky to find a couple bikes in close to runable condition for around $100.00 and being a tight wadded cheap skate just hate to spend three times the cost of the bike on an exhaust system!

13. Machine

Yes, to find original 77-79 Standard mufflers in primo condition on a bike for sale locally is always a goal. For several years I have intended to find that, Buy the bike, Remove and stash the exhaust system and sell the bike. Sadly that nice original exhaust system just does not show up locally in any of the ways I search out bikes for sale.

14. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Unfortunately, shelling out for a complete new exhaust is just something many (if not most) of these bikes need. But we should consider ourselves lucky. The few hundred dollars we have to spend is far below what many must spend on other bikes.

15. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

Has anyone tried these. If so how loud are they?
    upload_2020-3-29_15-6-8.png

16. ckahleer

ckahleer XS650 Enthusiast

Mailman likes this.
  17. arcticXS

I have the MikesXS 1 1/2" pipes, purchased fro Heiden Tuning. To be honest, I am not that happy with them. Both bends are too sharp (bend radius too small) in my opinion. Just don't look right.
    Hoos and Mac only offer 1 3/4" pipes, as far as I can tell. Not ideal for a street XS.
    What we all should do, as a group, is to approach Hoos, and suggest they make a 1 1/2" street headpipe option, with nice large bends, and a slight upkick at the end, suitable for straight mufflers. I am pretty sure that would be a popular item.

gggGary, GLJ and Machine like this.
  18. Machine

20200330_060610.jpg 20200330_060624.jpg
    Speaking of bends, Comparing the Standard look to the Special look.
    That nice tight Standard bend looks very appropriate for a bank of four head pipes in a row all being tucked in to save space.
    On these twins which have more character and free space I prefer the more flowing bend look of the Special head pipe.
    It would be interesting to know if either shape is superior to exhaust flow over the other but I would bet on the Special for performance as well.
    -R

19. arcticXS

I'd pay quite a bit for 1 1/2" single wall/ thin wall SS headers with the "Special" bend......

Machine and gggGary like this.
  20. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Sent hoos a PM.

arcticXS likes this.