2 regulators and three batteries later...

Brew

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
new banshee charging system. New wiring. what would be causing regulators and batteries to get fried? the wiring in the stator gone bad? I'm clueless at this point. I'm obviously overcharging right? The last regulator was a mosfet one.

Where did you buy the charging system stator and rotor ? Where are you buying the regulators? What size is the battery in amp hrs?
What loads are you using...............headlight watts?? , tail light, ignition?? LEDs or incandescent bulbs?
Have you used a voltmeter to measure the battery voltage when you start the engine and when you rev up to 3000+ rpm??

Brew, with a PMA system, excess current has to go somewhere, and that usually means to a heat sink on the reg/rec unit. If the reg/rec overheats, rectifier diodes start frying. If rectifier diodes fry, AC gets fed to the battery. When the battery eats AC, it gets sick and dies. As RG implies, you need enough load on the system to keep that from happening.

now that you mention the lights, incandescent head and led tail. Every time it dies is right after my rear led goes bad. i'm starting to regret the pma swap now. All I run is a head light, led tail light and plate light and a pamco ignition.

Since you're not saying what parts you have, I'll make a guess you have Chinese charging parts. You also don't say what voltage you have at the battery terminals...................................so I'm guessing your voltage is going quite high, maybe as high as 20 volts. LED lights are extremely rugged. The high voltage is killing your electrical components.
All I can say is get rid of the PMA stuff and use a stock type alternator/rectifier/regulator........................much more reliable.

I seem to be in that pma boat myself. that is a good price ,but what do you do with those two extra wires coming out of that thing ?

I bundled the positive and negative into single terminal and have had no issues.
Thanks Mark. I did read that was the way to do it ,per HHB install instructions, after I read your post. I might be needing one. I'm in the process of diagnosing the issue now.Not sure what happened to it. Looks like a two pronged problem tho.

Back