$200 Special

5twins

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Me and my buddy picked up the bike. Title says it's an '83, build date is 9/82, so it could very well be an early '83 build. Has a few issues of course (dirty carbs, not charging, sticking front brake), but nothing we can't deal with for the price. I think it will come back to life readily and clean up fairly easily .....

COykyrk.jpg

SLTB9xT.jpg

My buddy was after a parts bike or just a spare motor, but this is too good for that. It's like 99% original (tool kit, owners manual, security chain) and pretty much unmolested. The tank is clean as a whistle inside and it has very few oil leaks. Of course there's some oil coming from under that left cover, and one valve cover looks to be leaking bad, but that's it really .....

7uj7f7W.jpg

A7wJJFi.jpg

qzNGPW0.jpg

We're not sure exactly what we'll do with it yet, fix it up and keep it, or flip it. But, it is getting harder to find such unmolested examples. I guess we'll decide once we tear into it and see just how good or bad it really is. It has just over 29K on it. Oh yeah, tach is pooched too, lol. .....

LYw9mib.jpg

Dang ! Great deal... I believe it's a 83'.... every 82' I've seen was all black... fork legs, shocks... gauges... bought one new in spring 1983 .. $1694.25. (my 82' ..see photo, not the same one from 83')
Tach say's 4500.. was it running or stuck ?

Attachments

• Xs 650 82'.jpg
    Xs 650 82'.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 265
The tach is broken, but I think I have a spare in the parts stash. I use Rain Dance wax, which is a cleaner/wax. Use it with a white rag and rub hard enough, and you'll see some of the paint color transferred onto the rag. A couple "hard" wax jobs should bring the paint back then after that, every normal wax job will have it looking better and better. If we decide to keep the thing, it will get all the usual "fix-up" mods - steering bearings, swingarm bushings, Euro bars, stainless brake line, better rear shocks. If I swap master cylinders, I think I'm going to try a 1/2" one (12.7mm). I think this might be a good compromise, better "feel" than the stock 14mm but not as much lever travel before something happens like on the 11mm. There happens to be a perfect candidate for this, the MC from the XT600. Since it's also a Yamaha item, it will have the reverse thread mirror mount, same brake light switch, and take a 650 brake lever.

Hi 2many,
I don't have Jim's sticker but me too!
A thing you may not have thought to check; does the bike still have it's stock M14-ended swingarm pivot through bolt?
If it hasn't yet snapped off it's skinny stress-raising threaded end it will, soon enough.

I know you always mention that swingarm bolt but I have yet to ever encounter a problem with one, but I will check it. I think part of the problem with them may be from guys over-tightening them.

I know you always mention that swingarm bolt but I have yet to ever encounter a problem with one, but I will check it. I think part of the problem with them may be from guys over-tightening them.

Hi 5twins,
too Effin' right I do!
IMHO that skinnied down end is the final screwup in a mediocre swingarm pivot design.
And if your son had left a 100 foot long skidmark riding your XS650 to a safe stop from highway speed
with it's back wheel locked solid when it's pivot bolt fell out on the street, you would too.
The pivot bolt has to be reefed up tight enough to stop the swingarm bearing sleeve from turning
with the swingarm and the M14-ended stocker just can't cut it.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Seriously...........................hell that's a grand at least around here..................

I can pick up 400s all day long for that price but still on the search for a 650.............

The tach is broken, but I think I have a spare in the parts stash. I use Rain Dance wax, which is a cleaner/wax. Use it with a white rag and rub hard enough, and you'll see some of the paint color transferred onto the rag. A couple "hard" wax jobs should bring the paint back then after that, every normal wax job will have it looking better and better. If we decide to keep the thing, it will get all the usual "fix-up" mods - steering bearings, swingarm bushings, Euro bars, stainless brake line, better rear shocks. If I swap master cylinders, I think I'm going to try a 1/2" one (12.7mm). I think this might be a good compromise, better "feel" than the stock 14mm but not as much lever travel before something happens like on the 11mm. There happens to be a perfect candidate for this, the MC from the XT600. Since it's also a Yamaha item, it will have the reverse thread mirror mount, same brake light switch, and take a 650 brake lever.
Super find!!

that looks just like mine 5T ! same kind'a shape except the seat was gone on mine...only I found it at the folks's place AFTER i bought one online ! LOL yours has 26k miles on it .....mine has 7k <GRIN>
that sure would look nice setting along my machine ! ....
great find ! I want to hear it RUN !!!!!
Bob.........

Back