2010 XS650 Pumpkin Carving Contest! $75 Prize!

Status
Not open for further replies.

XS650

Administrator
Reaction score
2010 XS650 Pumpkin Carving Contest! (Closed, VOTE HERE)

xs650pumpkin.jpg

Winner will receive $75 toward any order at Mikes XS or 650Central (your choice).

I know it's kind of short notice but I've decided to give this a go anyway. I didn't have time to get sponsors together so this contest will be sponsored by XS650.com

So here's how this will work:
  1. Carve a pumpkin that has something to do with XS650s (or motorcycles, etc.)
  2. Write XS650.com, your xs650.com user name, 2010, and the name of your pumpkin on a piece of paper with a marker. Yes you have to name your pumpkin!
  3. Take one picture of your pumpkin with the piece of paper, and another one of just the pumpkin.
  4. Post your two pictures in this thread by Midnight (Central Standard Time) on October 31, 2010 to be entered into the contest.
  5. After Midnight on October 31, 2010, a poll thread will be created where members will be able to vote for only one pumpkin.
  6. The pumpkin (not the person) with the most votes by midnight on November 7, 2010 will win the $75!

Rules:
  • Submit as many entries as you want.
  • Your pumpkin must have something to do with motorcycles or this website (fabricating, tools, etc.)
  • You must have at least two pictures of your pumpkin as described above.
  • Submissions must be posted by the deadline.
  • You must spend the $75 at either Mikes XS or 650 Central. Not both.
  • You must tell us what you bought with your winnings (pictures are better).
  • Have fun!

Use this thread to post your entries, ask questions, make comments, etc... A separate thread will be setup for judging later. :bike:

I don't carve pumpmkins to well. I do know how pumkin pies are made though.

Attachments

• LostFile_JPG_63927608.jpg
    LostFile_JPG_63927608.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 247
Has anybody tried that Punkinmaster 2000 software for CNC pumpkin carving?

Here is my pumpkin work of art. I made some classic spooky pumpkins last week but they all rotted because it has been raining a lot in Oregon recently. Hope you all like it. Maybe I'll make another tomorrow if I get bored.
5129598855_43ba8b2b55_b.jpg

5129598879_6db9ed04db_b.jpg

Carving this pumpkin "The Wicked One" took me 10 hours... I'm tired, but I sure hope I got a chance at the prize, because my XS650 needs lots of parts.

By the way, what's the best way to remove a layer off the aluminum case covers and other motor parts and polish them to a chrome/glass like finish? Lots of dull gray spots and nasty scratches... yuck. I've tried super fine wet-sanding with dish soap and buffing with common aluminum polish, but I need to try something better than that. I need to wear it down a layer to get rid of stain and scratches, then polish it. What do I use and how?

Attachments

• 1031100227.jpg
    1031100227.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 315
  • 1031100303a.jpg
    1031100303a.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 197
That is a major cool pumpkin. Trav I am glad I am not you to judge this contest.

The general rule in aluminum clean up is start coarse and work down. It helps to get all the clear coat off so it doesn't plug the sand paper. I have found spray carb cleaner, let it sit till dry then a wire wheel gets clear coat gone quick. How coarse of paper you start with depends on how bad the aluminum is . I have slapped 220 on my DA sander and gone at it on bad side covers then worked down finer and finer and over to rubbing compound and finally metal polish. Some sort of flap sanding wheel to get in the recesses reduces the amount of hand work needed. Badly corroded aluminum may have discoloring that cannot be completely eliminated.

Made this with my nephews last night, nothing XS but I thought it turned out well.

73722_567556567043_211203194_32941386_1066412_n.jpg

I vote for Catfish's pumpkin.

Catfish, use aircraft stripper from the auto parts store. I have a lot of things I use to clean up, but basically you have to use something coarse enough to get below the corrosion/damage. Many people start way too fine and it takes forever.

John

That is a major cool pumpkin. Trav I am glad I am not you to judge this contest. ...

Gary, this contest will be judged by the members. :) Each member gets one vote. See below:

5. After Midnight on October 31, 2010, a poll thread will be created where members will be able to vote for only one pumpkin.
6. The pumpkin (not the person) with the most votes by midnight on November 7, 2010 will win the $75!

A separate thread will be setup for judging later.

I vote for Catfish's pumpkin.

No voting here! Voting will come later. :thumbsup:

There is still about 13 hours left to enter a pumpkin into the contest. Great submissions so far!

Either I have too much time on my hands or I just really need 75$ toward my chopper project (mostly the later). Here is my 2nd pumpkin (I also couldn't let a perfectly good pumpkin go to waste).

5133532667_ed51a787b8_b.jpg

5133532707_93cf8538cb_b.jpg

Here's two that I did tonight when my girlfriend and I were carving pumpkins. The first I called Chuck. Haha. It's crossed pistons and an exhaust pipe spelling XS. The second is a XS650 engine, called Classic Muscle.

Attachments

• Chuck-1.jpg
    Chuck-1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 174
  • Chuck-2.jpg
    Chuck-2.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 194
  • Chuck-3.jpg
    Chuck-3.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 191
  • Classic-1.jpg
    Classic-1.jpg