2016 Smoky Mountain Dogwood Rally

Looks like the weather will improve by next week - planning to leave Wednesday and hope to get to Morganstown WV first day, Franklin NC on Thursday and Suches Friday AM. First long trip of the season and weather here has not been conducive to training or shake off the cobwebs runs, at least the VStrom is ready.

I will be there on Saturday morning. What time should I plan on?
Still not sure what I'll be riding.

I'm coming in late Friday night after work. I wasted last week and didn't finish getting the bike ready. I'm going wide open today and I'll have to see where I end up.

I'll be there....just not sure right now what I will be riding/driving. I want to be on the ratty 650B but it's not ready yet.

Gordon Gray in North Wilkesboro, NC

If you're coming in Friday evening, weather permitting, I intend to take the group to Blairsville for barbecue. If you come in too late, TWoS will be serving dinner, so you won't have to go hungry. If possible, I'd like the get that show on the road by 17:30 or so.

For Saturday morning, I'd like to take this rally on the road as close to 0900 as possible. Jim, if you send me a PM, I'll send my phone number or text it to you, so you can catch up if you're late.

Exactly what we do will depend on the weather, the size of the group, and what most everyone wants to do. As I said, there's a festival going on in Dahlonega for those who don't care to ride. I can make a long loop to get everyone saddle sore, and/or we can do some sightseeing. I have a couple of waterfalls in mind. One of them would make for one hour off of the bike and a little walking. Right now, I intend to ride my XS650.

200px-DukesCreekFalls.jpg

The weekend weather forecast has been upgraded to very favorable. Let's hope it stays that way. :bike:

Friday
04/15
64 | 47 °F
Friday 50% Precip. / 0.02 in
Rain showers early with some sunshine later in the day. High 64F. Winds E at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
Friday Night 10% Precip. / 0 in
Partly cloudy skies during the evening will give way to cloudy skies overnight. Low 47F. Winds E at 10 to 15 mph.
Saturday
04/16
69 | 49 °F
Saturday 0% Precip. / 0 in
Partly cloudy. High 69F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph.
Saturday Night 0% Precip. / 0 in
Partly cloudy. Low 49F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph.
Sunday
04/17
75 | 51 °F
Sunday 0% Precip. / 0 in
Generally sunny despite a few afternoon clouds. High near 75F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph.
Sunday Night 10% Precip. / 0 in
A few clouds. Low 51F. Winds light and variable.
Monday
04/18
77 | 54 °F
Monday 10% Precip. / 0 in
Partly cloudy skies. High 77F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
Monday Night 0% Precip. / 0 in
Partly cloudy. Low 54F. Winds light and variable.

1. Suss out why the starter stopped working - easy fix
2. While working on the starter switch/button noticed both throttle cables needed
replacing - done
3. Mount new set of Avons (the correct size rear this time 5twins) with new tubes- done
4. Tried to clean off more of the grey primer from the wheels while I had them off
the bike - half arsed, but better
5. New rear brake shoes - done
6. Dyna beads front and rear - done

As much as I hate it......I will probably end up hauling the bike to the rally. I can't remember the last time I had a bike on a trailer but I just haven't had time to ride the bike around enough to feel warm and fuzzy about all the repairs. :(

I have to leave late on Friday and that will put me coming in the campground around 10 or 11. (PM) There are a lot of lonely dark miles between me and TWOS so I'm still trying to decide. 10 years ago the thought of a trailer would have never crossed my mind.

Getting old is taking "some" of the fun (read-adventure) out of it. :shrug:

See you guys and gals there.......Gordon in NC

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, Gordon. I'll be bringing a load of motor parts to Jack, so my bike will ride a trailer too.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, Gordon. I'll be bringing a load of motor parts to Jack, so my bike will ride a trailer too.

Heck griz.......at least that's a LOT better excuse than I have. :)

I haven't given up on the idea of riding in.....I know it's part of the "intent" and I've always tried to abide by that. :bike: PLUS.....I love it when people at a gas station say "You rode THAT thing all the way from North Carolina?????" :laugh:

It'll will be good to meet you in person.....looking forward to it no matter how we get there.

Happy trails............:bike: Gordon in NC

Gary.....I took some "before" photos when I got the bike. It was a mess. It had been left in a shop (UNCOVERED) where they had sprayed an auto they were restoring. The bike was almost 90% covered with grey primer. I've used acetone, wire wheels, soda blasting, sand paper, steel wool, aircraft stripper and to tell you the truth....it's ended up a mess. It does look a lot better but I would have been better off to had just gone ahead and stripped it down to the bare frame and started all over again.....it would have been less work in the long run.

BUT......I think you'd understand (I've followed a lot of your threads) I have so many bikes and most of them are projects.....I get kinda tired (burned out) of fixing them all the time. Some times I just want to ride and not wrench and this was one of those times. I never thought I would become so attached to the XS....I've been a Brit Bike fan since 1968.

The acetone worked great but I didn't start using it until I had already messed things up with too aggressive attempts at cleaning. There's still plenty of primer in all the nooks and crannies......maybe one of these days I'll get around to doing this bike right, but for now....I'm just going to ride it.

Take care and I wish you were attending the rally......maybe one of these days our paths will cross and we'll get a chance to spin a wheel together.

Gordon in NC

Marty, Just found out I have to be in Charlotte April 30th so the Meltdown in Hendersonville is out for me. But I AM going to make it over to the Dogwood rally sat am! WOOHOO!. I'm going to try to be there by nine so I can tag along on your tour; I'll either be on a 75B or a green 78E standard. What are you riding and are you camping? See ya there, Joe.

Made it to Morgantown WV today, sure glad I had the electric vest and bar heaters, left home, it was 2 or 3 degrees above freezing, by the time I was on I-90 the sun had hidden in clouds and it was like that till almost Pittsburgh.
Enjoyed the pot roast at Bob Evans.

OK, I believe Michael Knight is already here. He'on some sort of big Suzuki. If you get here early, find him.
12118894_1011548322252450_2445912732808619008_n.jpg

As for me, I get to camp at my house. :laugh: I have to work on Friday morning, so I'll be at the resort in the middle of the afternoon. I may be riding my XS650SK.

Marty%2526Kendall%2Brockinit.jpg

Still planning on coming tomorrow morning. I got the 650 running and NOT leaking oil but since I've only ridden around town since I've owned it, I'll probably trailer it up there. (Yes, I'm only an hour away).
Will there be a place I can park my truck and trailer?

<snip> Will there be a place I can park my truck and trailer?

I put my bike on the trailer last night.....what an awful sight and I'm not sure if the bike will ever forgive me for it. It's kinda got that "why didn't you just get a harley" look about it.

XSGuy.....TWOS has plenty of room for your truck and trailer just ask them when you check in. It's amazing how well they take care of the motorcycle crowd.

If all else fails.....you can always park at cabin #8......that's where I'll be and we could create a trailer........ "circle of shame" :laugh:

Looking forward to it......Gordon in NC

Last edited:
Well I hope the boys are safe and sound. They had a BEAUTIFUL day to ride and those roads in that part of the country are hard to beat.

I got in around 10 pm Friday and by the time I got everything unloaded it was getting pretty late so I didn't get a chance to meet anybody.

Got up early Saturday and was looking forward to a day of riding with some new friends.

I had breakfast with everyone and when we finished it was time to suit up and head out.

Got all my gear on....man was I excited. Bike started right up and settled in. I was READY to go. I rolled out from in front of the cabin and headed to the lodge, probably 500 feet or so and when I was coming to a stop....................................BAM.......the clutch cable let loose!!!!!!!!! Holy crap batman....not NOW!!!!!! I hadn't brought a spare.....I have one but left it on the bench. I also usually carry a cable repair kit....but didn't have that (thought I did) with me either. The cable didn't break...it pulled out of the barrel.

Dogwood%20Clutch%20017.jpg

Can't remember if that's ever happened to me before?????

BUT......life is full of ups and downs and I do my best to learn from both. Had I been on my sidecar rig.....it's a very simple fix because I keep an extra cable routed in place...just in case. You can bet your booties I will do the same on the XS from now on. That way.......that first cable will NEVER break/fail.

It was a nice ride in the car back.....I missed the boys but there WILL be a next time and I will be better prepared. I can't in any way blame the XS...it did what I was asking it to do. Even though....it didn't like riding on the trailer....wonder if that's why it spit it's clutch cable?

Dogwood%20Clutch%20005.jpg

Dogwood Rally...I didn't get a chance to ask but my guess is it got it's name because it's the time of year the Dogwoods are in bloom in that part of the country.

Dogwood%20Clutch%20009.jpg

Hope you fellows had a BLAST.....it was nice chatting with you at breakfast and you haven't seen the last of me.

Gordon in NC

Hadn't heard anything from the fellows yet but my guess (and hopes) is/are they are WAY to busy swapping riding stories and enjoying some GREAT roads and weather. Cool mornings are an air cooled engine's friend.

Cable repair kit......

Cable%20repair%20003.jpg

Take it along and you'll NEVER need it (this one is over 6 years old and has travled 1000's of miles)......leave it at home and your mowing grass instead of enjoying the weekend with new friends. :(

You haven't seen the last of me...:)...Gordon in NC

1975 XS650B......broken clutch cable...under repair/upgrade
1975 XS650B Parts bike.....going to have to rob one of those tiny switch screws off of it if I can't find it this morning.....time to pull out the string and ole Lucas rotor.
Lusting after a 1978 Standard (in Black)......my oh my there was one in Green at the Rally...oh my goodness.
I've finally got the money together and hope to talk with John on Monday....maybe add another XS650B to the list??????? fingers crossed.

Back