2018 Yamaha Xs650 ???

It would be great if the XS came back.. (it should never have been drop'd). Not everyone is enamored with birdcage frames and nightmare plumbing. Haven't heard anything about Yamaha breaking out the old blue prints and start pour aluminum.
Our local Royal Enfield dealer expects the new twins and Himalaya in April. I'd be interested in the Interceptor..but will wait for magazine reviews and perhaps feed back from others about possible first year gremlins.

For whatever reason the only motorcycle company that I've seen that has really captured and cashed in on the retro theme has been Triumph. When Triumph rose from the ashes they tried to distance themselves from the past, they came out with modern sport bikes. Then they came out with a modern take on the old Trident and had relatively good sales with that. Then they came out with the first new air cooled Bonnie and it was off to the races for Triumph. Even though they have developed some very good bikes over the years such as the Speed Triple, The last iteration of the Tiger, the fabulous little Street Triple, nothing in their line up has supassed the sales figures of their nostalgia line up. They even designed a very good touring bike , the Trophy, ever see one on the road? Me neither.
Honda came out with the beautifully made air cooled CB1100 that languished on dealers showrooms, they are cheap as chips on Craigslist.
Kawasaki developed the terrific little WR650 and then dropped it for lack of interest.
Yamaha still sells their SR400 kick start only street bike , that was initially made for the Japanese market only, but the price is ridiculous.
No the trend lately seems to be developing a completely new and modern bike and then give it some styling nods toward the past and maybe a heritage name, like the extremely well executed Kawasaki Z900RS.
image.jpeg

The W650 was a handsome, clean lines motorcycle. Everything was proportioned and balanced. I also like the Suzuki 650 Temper... early 80's ?..if a blue with wire wheels pop'd up I'd be on it like a gator on a poodle. The Sr500 was a favorite.. regret trade'n mine for a 72' XS... the Sr400 have proper wire wheels.. but the cost is steep... as a result if Yamaha was to build a 650 twin I doubt it's be in the Enfield 650 twin price range of $6500.oo. Told the wife this years tax returns may go towards the " Mike needs another motorcycle " fund.

Mailman is right IMO - all of the other retro bikes are really re-styles of an existing model as far as I can tell, but the new Triumphs are genuinely new designs of a traditional motorcycle that uses modern technology.

Attta boy Mike - and if you get one of those REs, we’re going to need a complete road test.

In fact, if you do get one....dammit, I’m comin’ over.

Pete

PS - that “”gator on a poodle” line made me snort right out loud!

Back