2018 Yamaha XSR700

Almost can't tell them apart...

2018-XSR700.jpg

To me the XS looks better! Perhaps the XSR700 just needs a fine old pair of Rototiller bars to polish it off?

I just don't see it. Nothing about that new bike says replica or feels anything like a vintage bike. If they wanted they could produce something a lot more throwback than this. Everything about that bike is modern. Honda reproduced a quality CB1100. Now that bike looks a lot more 'replica' than most others are putting out aside from the Triumph's.

Sorry Yamaha, nice try. That is nowhere near inspired by the Xs650. Instead of re-inventing the wheel (we know they're round), why don't they just take a step back in time? A 700? Ok. 270* crank? Ok. Radiator? Not okay, but, whatever. But replicate the Xs650's styling, while making up for its perceived shortcomings. If its going to be inspired by the Xs650, then inspire me to buy one by making it look like one. And put some taller, skinnier tires on it! It looks like a mini-bike!

They`ll be on Craigslist someday, then I`ll buy one and cheap make something out of it?

They`ll be on Craigslist someday, then I`ll buy one and cheap make something out of it?
That's me too, I'm such a leach! Guys going out and spending their hard earned money on the latest and greatest provide me a wonderful selection of barely used 10-15 year old bikes that just need a basic round of maintenance.
I fix and ride em, then sell, and find another "greatest thing since sliced bread". :sneaky::laughing::smoke:
It is very helpful that 10 years on there is a huge body of internet knowledge about what to avoid and what to watch for.

Kawasaki managed the W650, which sadly did not get enough sales to keep going here. I always thought it was a good looking bike. The SR400 is on the right track, but when you can get a brand new FZ07 for about $1k more it is overpriced. I don't think the XSR will sell that well, simply because it is a restyled FZ, with a higher price tag.

Back