2019 Yamaha Niken

robinc

Member of the 'yellow meter gang'
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Yamaha takes another chance.....the 2019 Niken

img.jpg

Hahaha Jim. Ya gotta wonder why they would try something like this? I sure can't see that it would appeal to the 'Traditional' motorcycle rider market and also can't see that it would attract the new 'Younger' rider market that all manufacturers are clamoring for.
I don't know. :umm: :shrug:

Hahaha Jim. Ya gotta wonder why they would try something like this? I sure can't see that it would appeal to the 'Traditional' motorcycle rider market and also can't see that it would attract the new 'Younger' rider market that all manufacturers are clamoring for.
I don't know. :umm: :shrug:
Yeah... I don't get it either....

I'm surprised they aren't coming out with something like the grom. But liquid cooled with highway capability out of the showroom. The grom and z125 are selling fast, so it only goes to reason that a higher performance version with a factory 5 speed would sell like hotcakes.

It almost just seems like a design exercise to me. Just to show what they can do. It is supposed to handle really nice and allow high entry speeds into corners. Doesn’t appeal to me, but if you need to have the most eye catching, conversation starting motorcycle , Yamaha’s got your bike haha! :laugh2:

I don’t get them either but Piaggio has a similar design for one of their scooters so it is not new. It did very well with that crowd and actually the handling is supposed to be quite good. It will compete with can am in the sense that it will still handle and corner/lean like a motorcycle (actually some say better) but will still have the stability of a 3 wheeler. I actually think it is a separate class

It is definitely aimed at those that are not comfortable on two wheels. It will actually stand on its own at a standstill but then unlock and lean at speed so those with mobility issues can still ride something that feels like a motorcycle at speed. That is where all three wheelers fail so this is unique in that aspect.

All that being said it is not for me but I would not count it out quite yet as a fail. Only time will tell.

Just my 2 cents.

The manufacturing costs will hurt the Nikon, IMO. Basically, you’ve got about 1.25-1.5 motorcycles competing with...motorcycles. Those oddball forks and the other front end bits simple have to be costly. And like others, I have to ask - why?

....can anyone say: Suzuki RE-5?

In some countries you can ride this 3-wheeler on a car license. Typically, getting a motorcycle (or car) license in many western countries is very difficult, compared to the US, and many people who don't yet have a motorcycle license have turned to the only game in town before the Nikken, being the piaggio mp3. Also, the perceived increased stability appeals to some people. I know this because my wife has one of those Piaggios and we just relocated from France to Los Angeles. There are tons of these Piaggios in the major euoropean cities like Paris, Rome etc, where lane splitting is also allowed and parking for cars is extremely expensive but free for motorcycles. So Yamaha is getting a share of that large market.

You bet your ass I'd ride one of those before ANY other type of 3-wheeler, especially if I had something keeping me from riding a 2 wheeler. And it can still pull the front wheel up

Corner grip is supposed to be much higher while still maintaining most of the feel of a standard bike. Good review here: https://ridermagazine.com/2018/05/28/2019-yamaha-niken-first-ride-review/

Sure it's complex, probably unnecessary, but hey - Yamaha took a risk and even if it doesn't pay off, at least there's an option that's NOT a can-am or Goldwing/harley trike...

These will be for daily rentals at the VYR...I wont be renting but they carve damn well..and until you have ridden one you'd prolly not truly get it.. I like it..It would make an excellent option for someone who has trouble balancing 2 wheels.

Back