?

Depends on the year and models.

1971 and 1972 are most valuable as originals, without question.

1973 and later XS's up to when the "Specials" came out are a toss-up IMHO. To ME, they're also worth more in original form, but to others, who knows?

Specials are so plentiful that anything other that a truly pristine, low-mileage original can be modified in any of the usual genres and be worth at least as much as a clean original, and often more.

These are my opinions only, and are not based on actual experience or research.

In other words, I could easily be full of shit.

Im tryin to decide to chopp mine up or leave her stock and throw some fresh paint on her.

Depends on what you want out of it. I don't care what mine is worth because it's never going anywhere. If you want to customize and modify your bike for your own enjoyment and headache, go ahead, but don't expect to be able to take it into a market where people are spending stupid money on old bikes and get all your sweat equity out. It ain't a house, it's a good 'ol Yamaha. In 10 years, an original will be worth more than an old chop.

If you ain't CAV, you ain't shit. If ya are CAV, you are shit, but your shit don't stink!

I concur the first three years, '70, '71 and '72 are worth more in original form. Even a cafe treatment is reversible, but once you cut the frame and hard tail it you have limited your market. I like them "kind of" stock, and Cafe'd.
whynot2
XS650SG, XS650H, FJ1200, XVZ1200

Chop em all up. Makes the stockers worth more. I am of the opinion the hundreds of engineers hired by Yamaha are more talented than a wanker with a chop saw and MIG welder. But that's just my opinion.

Yeah...I wouldnt have the heart to chop up an early XS.....or any real classic......but the later models , which there seem to be plenty of......nother question.....lookin now for one to "Brat Style".....dont tell the wife.....

Back