277 Deg. Rephase Crank Sprocket

gregoryp

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking of rephasing my engine since I have it down to the bare cases, I need new rods and will have to press the crank apart anyway. I've been reading about it on here and have a few questions. Can anyone post some good pictures of the cam chain sprocket off the crankshaft. I'm trying to understand how it goes on there before I take it apart. I've seen some cut a new notch in the flywheel weight to accomodate the new position after rephasing and I've also read that it can be pressed off and then repositioned. Any thoughts on this? I'd prefer to press it off and rotate to the correct positon vs. cutting a new notch. Form what I've read you leave the left side of the crank alone and then rotate the rightside (clutch side) forward thre splines can anyone cofirm this. Also I've seen some weld the crank pins after pressing back together, is that necessary? It's not a problem to do, just curious if necessary. Would you get the crank assembled and trued and then tack the pins, or do each half and weld them and then press the two halves together? Seems like getting it all trued up and then welding would be the best bet? Thanks for listening.
Greg

Greg,

Where at in NC are you? I'm over in Asheville. I do these cranks about weekly now. You'll want to tear down completely, and weld the pins as you go. TIG welding is about the only way to get real penetration on it and still keep the weld low profile. If you don't weld the pressed joint and pins, I can just about guarantee the crank will try to walk apart with any abuse at all. The cam gear is easy to work with, you just locate it and cut a new notch.

You'll never get the crank trued up if you weld the rod pins first and then assemble the 2 halves. Work from the center out, welding as you go, and truing up the flywheels as you go. Its tedious work for sure. Check me out sometime if you like, be glad to help since we are both NC fellas... The link below should help ya some as well.

Hugh
http://hughshandbuilt.blogspot.com/2011/01/re-phased-goodness.html

The 277 Rephased engines run SMOOTH. Very smooth, like take a 2000 mile trip on a rigid frame with solid mounted alloy pegs and solid aluminum grips and never feel fatigued smooth....

Run-on sentences, the only way to communicate :laugh:

Greg,

Where at in NC are you? I'm over in Asheville. I do these cranks about weekly now. You'll want to tear down completely, and weld the pins as you go. TIG welding is about the only way to get real penetration on it and still keep the weld low profile. If you don't weld the pressed joint and pins, I can just about guarantee the crank will try to walk apart with any abuse at all. The cam gear is easy to work with, you just locate it and cut a new notch.

You'll never get the crank trued up if you weld the rod pins first and then assemble the 2 halves. Work from the center out, welding as you go, and truing up the flywheels as you go. Its tedious work for sure. Check me out sometime if you like, be glad to help since we are both NC fellas... The link below should help ya some as well.

Hugh
http://hughshandbuilt.blogspot.com/2011/01/re-phased-goodness.html
I was always under the impression you set up shop in the Boone area:confused:

So do you plan on making Asheville home and is the shop set up at home. Came by today and saw no one,so maybe one day we'll hook up.

So do you plan on making Asheville home and is the shop set up at home. Came by today and saw no one,so maybe one day we'll hook up.

Asheville is Home for now. We like it. Should have warned me, I would have loved to meet up. My shop is just in the basement, I have about 350 square feet I get to work out of. Living the dream :laugh:

I don't get to the west side of town that often but if I see ya on the scoot,I'll wave ya down.

Now only if mikes could get some damn ignitions in stock....

Posted via Mobile
Try going through Pete directly or use the points converted system temporarily or contact Bore Tech for their electronic ignition for either the 270/277

Yeah I haven't heard back from Pete when I've emailed him about it. When I used to email him I got a pretty prompt response, but lately I haven't heard from him.

Posted via Mobile

Back