For Sale - 277 Rephased Motor a Hugh's Handbuilt original!!

rwingsfan

Xs 650 Dummy
Reaction score
It is with great sadness that I am offering up my fantastic Hugh's Handbuilt 277 Rephased XS 650 motor. Some unforseen financial problems cropped up and have left me no other choice. This motor is a 1981 with all stock internals. Hugh completlely rebuilt this baby with all new gaskets, ATU, tensioners, all the goodies. It is better than new. Has polished side covers and tappet covers. Also has brand new Pamco ignition with green monster coils. Took me awhile to get this thing tuned in, but I did and it is awesome. Smoothest XS I have ever ridden, and sounds much different. Now I also have a complete permanent magnet alternator setup that could go with, but would be extra. Now by selling this motor leaves me a bike with no motor so here is what I need. Looking for $1000 cash and a good running stock motor 78 or older (points please) or 80 on with Pamco, no TCI. I might consider a whole bike and cash also. I will post pictures tommorrow for your viewing pleasure. If no one here buys its off the evilbay.

Hard to believe not one inquiry into this motor. the price may seem high, but this thing is all new. Here are some pics that may pique your interest

100_0783.jpg

100_0782.jpg

Damnit! I just dropped any extra cash I had on this last week,Or that badboy would be on the to SoCal.
newbike.jpg

You have not been very clear on what's new in the motor. Rings? Valves? Cam chain? We know Hugh is doing good work, but still want to know what's in there.

Seems like it might be a good deal-be a little more specific, you'll have to be on ebay if you want the most you can get.

John

I built this engine. It has stock 650 Pistons - Polished to a mirror shine! , NEW Rings, All New Gaskets and Seals, Fully welded and rephased crank and camshaft with all polished bearing surfaces, new camchain, new cam tensioner and guides, new valve seals, 3 angle valve job, Polished Side Covers and tappet covers, Fully Bead Blasted Engine cases and cylinder head/cover, "S&S Black" cylinders and an XS1 Camshaft with 36 Tooth Sprocket swapped onto it, new Advance Unit, and I'm sure there is some stuff I am forgetting.

All the crank bearings, transmission bearings and cam bearings were in great shape as the donor engine had less than 5K miles on it when I pulled it to build for Rwingsfan.

If you don't find a buyer, I'd toss it on Ebay. The crank and cam alone without install are worth $785 to alot of buyers who don't want to tear down an engine.

Last edited:
Yeah......what Hugh said. Sorry for not being more specific, but I did say all new, and it is. Thanks to Hugh for the specifics though. In addition to what he listed is also the new Pamco with coils. No extra charge for being ugly green either! :thumbsup:

You have not been very clear on what's new in the motor. Rings? Valves? Cam chain? We know Hugh is doing good work, but still want to know what's in there.

Seems like it might be a good deal-be a little more specific, you'll have to be on ebay if you want the most you can get.

John

Back