front brake hose one piece or two ?

peanut

XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I'm refurbing my front braking system

I have a 79 special ll with single front disc/caliper with an intermediate junction (presumably for easy addition of a dual front disc brake system .)

I would like to replace the 2x hose system with a single braided hose from MC to caliper.

I reckon a 39" or 1 metre hose should do the job.

Are there any problems with doing this ? and can you retro fit wire coil protection afterwards ?

Last question , the hoses are marked DOT NCRN 9/78 1/8 HR are these the original hoses fitted in 1978 when the bike was manufactured :yikes:?

There's no problem switching to the one long line. Most of us do this. The stainless lines usually come with a clear plastic protection sleeve over them so there's no need for that coil spring protector. To hold the line, you can fab up a little "guide" to bolt on the front of the lower triple tree where that junction block used to mount. A short length of fuel line on the brake hose will protect it where it passes through the guide .....

BrakeLineGuide.jpg

I have a Galfer single line for mine at home. Same year and model, and it will reach with the stock bars, although I'm going to a Daytona bar. I'll measure the line and post back later.
My original lines have the same markings as yours.

35 year old brake hoses, what could go wrong?
Run em til they burst, or plug up, no problems. Amazing how many riders feel that way.

35 year old brake hoses, what could go wrong?
Run em til they burst, or plug up, no problems. Amazing how many riders feel that way.
I just got my new rear brake shoes a while ago. Little brother said the old ones had plenty of meat on them. Yes, for 35 years they have been on there! 31 bucks is cheap for peace of mind.

Alright Peanut, I got home and pulled my front wheel off (unrelated) and measured the line I have. It's a "donor" from a kit for another bike, but it's in Goodridge packaging. It's 45 inches from extreme end to extreme end, or 114cm. The fittings themselves make up about 2.5 inches or 6 cm of the full length. The side of the hose print reads as follows, in line:
GALFER G-0012 3.2 MM HL The 3.2 mm equates to 1/8" line, same as your stock line internal diameter, but does not pulse like an artery when you pull the lever. It had 10mm banjos on it.
Hope this is helpful.

From the US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 571.106 (http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=571.106)

HR (from our old lines) indicates a regular expansion hose, and HL (on my new line) is a low expansion hydraulic hose.

Last edited:
lovely job 5twins. Thank you for the picture and the fixing tips.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Alright Peanut, I got home and pulled my front wheel off (unrelated) and measured the line I have. It's a "donor" from a kit for another bike, but it's in Goodridge packaging. It's 45 inches from extreme end to extreme end, or 114cm. The fittings themselves make up about 2.5 inches or 6 cm of the full length. The side of the hose print reads as follows, in line:
GALFER G-0012 3.2 MM HL The 3.2 mm equates to 1/8" line, same as your stock line internal diameter, but does not pulse like an artery when you pull the lever. It had 10mm banjos on it.
Hope this is helpful.

thats very helpful jd thank you,and thanks for the link. I had a quick peruse and it is very informative.
I'm hoping to get a cable made up by a UK company who can make almost any spec you want including all the banjo angles and with any colour coating .

Now I know that the hose is the original ones I feel kinda torn between keeping them or replacing them.

I had intended to refurbis my 79 special but because it is so completely original I've decided this week to conserve it instead which means only replacing where essential and then with contemporary used parts where safe and feasible, to retain the original character of the bike.

Trouble is old brake hoses are prone to splitting and collapsing and expanding under pressure which isn't the kind of thrills I'm seeking :laugh:

Rubber brake hoses have a limited life. I read some where that they should be changed every 6 years or so, maybe it was 10 myears. Any way they should be changed because they rot. They may look good on the outside but the inside is falling apart.
You can get brake hoses that look like the stock hoses from Mike's. How good they are I can't say. Mike's rubber parts are not the best.
I have used Mike's braided stainless lines. The clear plastic cover rots off in the sun.
I had one line get broke on my 75 up by the master cylinder. When I replaced it I use some of the woven cover that came off the junk yard battery cables I picked up. I used some off this woven cover to cover my new lines as well as my old lines. A bit of heat shrink tubing to hold the cover in place. Looks good and keeps the sun off.
On my 81 when I replaced the old rubber lines with lines from Mike's I used the heat shrink tubing to cover the lines. Keeps the sun off and they look almost the same as the stock rubber hoses.
Leo

Peanut, Like you, I appreciate restorations. But when it comes to brake lines, I think the best you can buy is the way to go. This is a spot where no one will fault you for going with modern technology.

roy

yes of course you are absolutely right. :thumbsup: I ordered a handmade braided hose this morning . Safety is paramount, besides i wouldn't want to wear out the soles of my new boots lol

They had every colour of the rainbow and it took me ages to choose a black one :doh:. I went through every colour they had thinking mmm that will match the tank or mmmmm that won't stand out to much etc etc .
Decisions decisions I hate decisions

You can get brake hoses that look like the stock hoses from Mike's. How good they are I can't say. Mike's rubber parts are not the best.

Leo

Good tip about the hose covers Leo. I suspect here in the UK there is more chance of them washing off.... in all the rain we have over here lol.

Re the authentic look I guess that is very important to someone restoring their bike , to keep everything looking original.

I have decided to conserve my bike instead because it is so original.

That means I shall keep it exactly as it is, rust and all. If I have to replace parts I'll use a used part from the same era if at all possible but in the case of brake pads, shoes ,hoses etc obviously I've little choice but to go for new but like you say there are plenty of patten parts out there.

I'm not happy with the responsibility of keeping the bike original like this to be honest. I was dying to start hacking bits off and converting it into a tracker or cafe but I feel a strong sense of responsibility to keep this bike original for a future enthusiast who may wish to completely restore it .(restos don't float my boat) There are so few original stock XS650 left now that they may well be the rarest XS650:shrug:

I can see another XS650 joining the stable very shortly lol:D

Like others, I have installed Stainless Steel brake lines on all my bikes. The first thing I did when they each came into the garage was to rip off the master cylinder and hoses and replace both with new. That's another subject of course, but I thing the master cylinder should be replaced, not rebuilt. The only part of the braking system that can be rebuilt is the caliper because it is so simple and when you take it apart you can see everything. The piston can be replaced with new as well.

I also installed a single brake line for the front brakes. It's actually cheaper but eliminates two potential places for a leak.

Here is the clamp I use to secure the hose to the lower triple in place of the gizmo that joins the two factory hoses.

clamp3.jpg

Use the 3/8" size available at most auto supply stores or Home Depot.

My exact thought when I saw the post from 5twins was, hey, I have Adel clamps in my toolbox!
http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircra...dg5?&plpver=10&origin=keyword&filter=&by=prod

MS21619 clamps (as Pete shows above) generally have thicker metal straps than the hardware store variety. Look for around 3/32" thick material on the metal loop. Tends to hold it's shape better. The thinner ones sometimes twist out of shape when tightening. This style is a world-wide standard, and can be found anywhere.

I just put braided stainless lines fore & aft on my '74 TX. The difference in feel from 40 year-old hoses was startling at first. Now, I love it.

The first thing I did when they each came into the garage was to rip off the master cylinder and hoses and replace both with new.

Use the 3/8" size available at most auto supply stores or Home Depot.

I agree that would be the best solution if you are upgrading or refurbishing a bike but not an option if you are keeping the bike original.
The cheapest I could find a NOS master cylinder was $275 plus shipping a further $50 ..... thats too rich for me.

There is nothing wrong with reusing an original MC providing you know what you are doing and it is still serviceable and this one has only done 18K from new and the bore is in good condition fortunately.

Here it is fitted all ready to go bar some new screws and the new SS hose coming tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help and advice everyone. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• master cylinder fitted.JPG
    master cylinder fitted.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 784
I need to replace the brake hoses (upper & lower) on my two '76's. I've got new brake master cylinders and am refurbishing the calipers.

I'd like to go with one-piece stainless steel brake lines, but not from MikesXS. I don't see that they list SST lines for '76's anyway. 650 Central has Goodridge which I understand is a good brand.

How do I go about accurately determining how long I need my new lines to be? Both bikes have standard factory handlebars for 1976. Do I simply need to run some stiff coax cable (or something comparable) from master cylinder to caliper and then measure length?

Yep, that's about it. I pull one strand from some house wiring (need about 4'). The solid copper wire lets you bend and route it, then straighten it back out and measure.

Does a stainless steel brake line eliminate the short, stock brake pipe that connects to the caliper? In other words, is the SST line connected directly to the caliper with a banjo bolt?

Back