$29 EverStart Battery from WalMart compared to others?!?

jedi_

xs650 cafe racer
Reaction score
So i was at walmart today and always go to the automotive section to see what they have and browsed the battery section to see if they had one similar to the stock XS one but small enough to hide under the hump for my cafe build.

I came across the EverStart ES12N94B1 PowerSport Battery @ $29

0068113131921_500X500.jpg

===========================================================

The battery that "batterystuff.com" recommends for the xs650 is the Scorpion YB14L-A2 @ $47.00

660x_syb14l-a2_lg.jpg

Sizes are very similar/ both are lead acid batteries:

$29 walmart battery
Length: 3.0
Width: 5.3125
Height: 5.5

$47 BatteryStuff Battery

Length: 5.3125
Width: 3.5
Height: 6.5625

Don't get the Walmart one. I had one and it only lasted about a week. On top of that shit, the idiots at Walmart tried to refuse a refund because it was used. Bastards.

You get what you pay for. Avoid buying the cheapest battery you find. Pay a little more and get a lot more quality.

Nothing beats a good quality 14 amp/hour lead acid battery for these bikes.

Make sure your charging system is putting out 14 to 14.3 volts at 3000 rpm.

I have a Wal-Mart Battery. I'm just getting done with the second full season on it. I run it in a hard tail so it gets pounded pretty good. Maybe I just got lucky but I ran one in my last ridgid,and it was on it's 3rd season when I sold the bike. I've had good luck with them.

If your charging system is working well and you properly maintain the battery the WalMart one will be ok, Any abuse and it's toast.
The WalMart battery you list is for the older models. The 74 up use one with the 14L-A2 in the number some where, not the12N94B1.
I have used the WalMat batteries, work but not as strong or last as long as a better battery. Spend at least $45 for one. At the auto parts store, even the farm supply, anywhere but WalMart.
Leo

ive got a battery tender that i throw on every weekend. ive had AGM batteries that only lasted 11 months and was able to get a replacement from batterystuff with their 1yr warranty. then again, you can go balls out and get a shorai lithium battery

i was told by a battery supply company that Walmart sells recycled batteries , they find the dead cells change them , and the plastics . reseal them and resell them . buy gel thats what ive had luck with

Why are these battery maintainer/tenders needed?? You have a charging system on your bike that keeps the battery charged.

some people have more than one bike. I have 5 now....Try getting a High compression Ducati to start with a weak battery. New bikes have immobilizers that will weaken the battery, and eventually drain it.

I was about to type out a response but then copy/paste is easier.

The short answer is "only if you really need to". Most powersports enthusiasts have gotten used to hooking up a tender to their lead-acid batteries, all the time. Shorai LFX have much slower self-discharge than the best lead acid do (1/6 to 1/7, on average), they do not sulfate as capacity drops, and they are the ultimate "deep cycle" battery, which means that they can still crank your vehicle even if the remaining capacity is quite low. Therefore most riders will not need to use a tender at all. Even a charger or tender uses energy you have to pay for, and there is always the possibility that a charger or tender can fail in some way, so if not really needed the best practice is to not use one.
A fully charged LFX can sit for a year or more and still retain adequate starting capacity, without damaging the battery. As such, any vehicle which has no current flowing when the key is OFF should never need a tender. At most it should be charged every 6 to 12 months, depending on the average storage temperature (cool storage is much better for any battery). Many older vehicles and most dirtbike/atv fall into this category.
Newer vehicles may have a significant draw even when the key is OFF, to maintain clocks and computers, etc. In this case we expect that a few hours of riding per month will be all that is needed to avoid tending. If you know that you will go a number of weeks or months without riding, you can either attach a tender, or disconnect the negative cable from the battery. In any case, during storage you may use the voltage chart above and an accurate voltmeter, and consider recharging when the battery is around the 50% capacity remaining mark, or above.

So i was at walmart today and always go to the automotive section to see what they have and browsed the battery section to see if they had one similar to the stock XS one but small enough to hide under the hump for my cafe build.

I came across the EverStart ES12N94B1 PowerSport Battery @ $29

0068113131921_500X500.jpg

The battery that "batterystuff.com" recommends for the xs650 is the Scorpion YB14L-A2 @ $47.00

660x_syb14l-a2_lg.jpg

Sizes are very similar/ both are lead acid batteries:

$29 walmart battery
Length: 3.0
Width: 5.3125
Height: 5.5

$47 BatteryStuff Battery

Length: 5.3125
Width: 3.5
Height: 6.5625

I always love the guy who photoshops the bike for the packaging... FZ1's with exhaust on the left side not right.....:laugh:

ive heard that anytime the battery (gel/acid) goes below 12v it lessens the life of it. might as well keep it on a tender and keep it between 12 and 13

ive heard that anytime the battery (gel/acid) goes below 12v it lessens the life of it. might as well keep it on a tender and keep it between 12 and 13

If you ride your bike at least once per week, your normal on bike charging system will keep the battery charged. A charged battery will read 12.4 to 12.6 volts. If it doesn't, then you should find out what is wrong with your charging system.

Back