3 lights between speedo and tach?

lowliferat

certified hack
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the 3 lights are between speedo and tach. I just started my bike 80 G all stock and she ran for. A few minutes sounded good. But the center light stayed on. The cover was taken by someone else before I got her. Can't find em in the manual. Also she sputtered when I tried to rev her? Any ideas? I didn't have air filters on. Thanks for any advice

how long has it sat before you got it, did it restart? I would check fuel system then spark

Last edited:
my neutral light is in tach. Maybe someone switched something? I'm going to clean carbs and check wiring in headlight , I had to hook up turn signals and headlight. .

78/79 Special has the neutral and high beam light in the tack and the 3 lights are different on the tower.
From top to bottem: Turn, orange......... Brake/Tail, Red.......... Headlight, white. If your Speedo has to 140MPH in white and 180KPH in yellow on the inside then your gauges have been swaped to the 78/79 Special set

my neutral light is in tach. Maybe someone switched something? I'm going to clean carbs and check wiring in headlight , I had to hook up turn signals and headlight. .
80G ... like this

Attachments

• 80G.PNG
    80G.PNG
    7.9 KB · Views: 82
80G Special 2, has the same set up as the 78/79Specials. Forgot about that thinking about the 80SG. Didn't read your first post properly:doh:

Gee Whiz Skull! Brain fart,huh? Pee Yew, that's got some hang time! Yea, it sucks getting older. Check to see if the bike is charging. Every time I burnt up a rotor the center light would come on. Just kiddin' 'bout the odor. G

:banghead: ok call me dumb got this set came off a 81,have other set off a 79 with120 mph.Same light set up. can ya tell what I have? my 83 has to hump to get 85mph, don't think I will max this one...........:doh:

Attachments

• speedo.jpg
    speedo.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 92
78/79 Special has the neutral and high beam light in the tack and the 3 lights are different on the tower.
From top to bottem: Turn, orange......... Brake/Tail, Red.......... Headlight, white. If your Speedo has to 140MPH in white and 180KPH in yellow on the inside then your gauges have been swaped to the 78/79 Special set

:shrug: were can one find info on speedo??

I think that set up came off an Non-US model if its an '81. Joan Claybrook (National Highway Safety Power Bitch or something er nother)said 85 mph is enough because of the double nickle National Speed Limit at the time. Otherwise its an '79.

thanks gordon i will check charging system for output, just got her running and light was on ,makes sense if not charging ,brake lights and tail light working. will check after school today. thanks all

:banghead: ok call me dumb got this set came off a 81,have other set off a 79 with120 mph.Same light set up. can ya tell what I have? my 83 has to hump to get 85mph, don't think I will max this one...........:doh:

Speedo looks like it comes off an XS1100. the rest of the cluster looks origional

:shrug: were can one find info on speedo??

In my head, i have learnt what i know by some of the stuff i have bought and seen or looked up in the parts files.

RD 350's, TX/XS500's TX750's, XS750's, XS850's, XS100 and the RD/XS400's, SR500. All of these gauges will interchange with XS650, (depending on the year ), in some way or another so there have been a lot of parts swap over the years. The one consistant is the rev counter. If yours does not red line at 7.5 then it is off another of the ones above, the XS650 redlines at 7500

Back