4 coats of rattle can - can I use compound or wax?

BigJimmyW13

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if I could use a compound to polish 4 coats of rattle can. Would wax do it? It just seems like I can't get the finish perfectly smooth with the rattle can. Any suggestions?

I carefully used T-cut a rubbing compound for bringing back shine to old paintwork, and then waxed.

I tested out chrome polish on a small spot and it didn't do it for me that's why I was asking on here. I will try out T-cut if I can find it and if not I guess I will resort to brasso and then wax it. If anymore suggestions please fire away. If not thanks guys!

I was wondering if I could use a compound to polish 4 coats of rattle can. Would wax do it? It just seems like I can't get the finish perfectly smooth with the rattle can. Any suggestions?

You can achieve a good finish with rattle cans but you must make sure you have enough paint on there in the first place, to allow for all the cutting back required to achieve that finish.
Let the paint harden really well (leave for a week)
Use really fine wet and dry paper (1000 or 800 grit ) depending on your finish straight from the can. And use very wet (big bucket of clean water)
If you have not got enough paint on there you will cut back to the primer in places :doh:
Then T cut and finally a wax polish and it should look pretty damn good :bike:

- when sanding with wet and dry use a soft rubber block, this will automatically form itself to any curves, compound or not, also do this before putting on your finish coats-a little black oversprayed on the panels beforehand will show any high and low spots-low spots can be filled with a fine filler then resealed with primer, lightly overspray again and lightly resand...repeat until the finish is to your satisfaction

- the finish quality will always depend primarily on your preparation work

I've had decent results with rattle cans.

1 prep surface
2 prime
3 wet sand with 400 or 600 grit
4 repeat 2,3 until it looks really smooth or you get sick of it
5 apply color and and after 2 or 3 coats wet sand between coats
6 apply rattle can clear coat (2 or 3 coats)

It should look pretty good and may need very little rubbing out

Back