447 rods on a 533 crank?

1800skold

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi

I need to replace con rods and pistons in my 533 engine.
I have new pistons and rods for a 447 engine available, will the 447 rods fit my 533 crank shaft?

Thanks
/Mattias

Welcome to the forum, 1800skold.

I don't think that's easily done. The 533 crankpin is larger than the 447 crankpin, and I recall that the 533 conrod big-end may be wider than the 446.
Here's some conrod specs:

256 cranks ... 136mm rod ... XS1, XS1B ... 22mm piston hole ... 26mm crank pin ... no starter gearing
306 cranks ... 136mm rod ... XS2, TX650 ... 22mm piston hole ... 26mm crank pin ... same as 256, with starter gearteeth
447 cranks ... 130mm rod ... TXA on, US and 447 Euro motors ... 20mm piston hole ... 26mm crank pin
533 cranks ... 140mm rod ... European 533 motors ... 20mm piston hole, scooped crank pin 29mm

XS650-ConRods6.jpg

The 533 rods have no oiling slots, they get their oiling from 'scooped' crankpins.
The 447 rods have oiling slots, and rely on crankcase squirters.
The bottom half of this link shows Steffis' mods to a 533 crank, 533 conrods, and the case oil squirters:

https://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/tag/crank/

Thank you, I didn't realize it was my first post ever. I have been reading a lot :)
Thanks for the answer, told me everything I needed to know.

Hey, TwoMany, I don't suppose you know why Yamaha did 533 crank/rod in Europe and 447 in the US?
Which would you prefer?
I have a 447 case which had 533 crank in as stock. I also have a 447 rephase ready to go in... starting to think I'd be better off staying with 533 from what I've been reading idk. What you think?

I looked at the link you posted on #2 to check out the oil squirts to the big ends and compare with mine. Being a 447 case I expected them to be there... which they are, but they have 1 for the right cylinder and 3 for the left. Can you explain the imballance?

Thanks, that was quite some thread hopping I got into there on the oil squirts.
I wondered if the lay of the land might be a factor in the 533/447 thing, wasn't sure it would matter enough to affect design like this though.
Thanks.

Hey, TwoMany, I don't suppose you know why Yamaha did 533 crank/rod in Europe and 447 in the US?
Which would you prefer?
I have a 447 case which had 533 crank in as stock. I also have a 447 rephase ready to go in... starting to think I'd be better off staying with 533 from what I've been reading idk. What you think?

I looked at the link you posted on #2 to check out the oil squirts to the big ends and compare with mine. Being a 447 case I expected them to be there... which they are, but they have 1 for the right cylinder and 3 for the left. Can you explain the imballance?

Different roads and riding styles. Long rods will breath better and will pull harder through the head at mid to higher RPMs than short rods. The XS1 long rod motors came fitted with a different intake port configuration than the 447 engines to help aid port velocity, no difference in flow between the 447 and 256 head but both heads would benefit in the flow department with a port volume diet on the intakes.

I'm a little confused on the 447 vs 533.

If the there's 10mm difference in length between these two rods how do they maintain same 650cc capacity? or does the 533 have smaller bores or crank must be completely different with a shorter throw to achieve same stroke?

cheers

Last edited:
Thanks gggGary, that makes sense now.
I wonder which of the two have the lightest piston and rod combo?
I'd have a stab and say the 447 has a lighter rotational mass?
Maybe I'm just over thinking things and should stop drinking these beers haha

Back