450 mph RC model jet

I flew RC for a long time and people often asked: “what is the range of your radio?”

We always replied: “ That’s the wrong question. The real issue is our view of the aircraft - in other words, what is the range of your eyes?” If you can’t see it, you can’t fly it.

Now, consider this: 60 mph = 88 ft./sec, so if you can see the aircraft clearly at about 500 feet (generous with a small model like the one shown in Bob’s video) and the aircraft is going 450 mph, then you will have it in view for less than 8 seconds.

That means you have to make a decision every 4-8 seconds, and it has to be the correct one.

Never flew RC, my record with control line was near 100%

b43f25acd5114026-screaming-airplane-crash-gif-by-south-park-find-share-on-giphy.gif

:banghead: That kind of discouraged me from RC :laughing:.

Runway?

giphy.gif

I don't need no stink'n runway!

Passengers preparing for a gggGary landing

giphy.gif

Last edited:
I'm surprised it's even legal....the thing could be used as a serious weapon/threat to passenger planes or otherwise.

I'm surprised it's even legal....the thing could be used as a serious weapon/threat to passenger planes or otherwise.
He may not be in the U.S. I have to have a license for mine and over so many ounces each has a number. My Fun Jet will hit about 150 but I'd much rather fly the small backyard flyers. ( 15 acre backyard)

When I was a kid, my dad took me to the hobby store to buy a Gas engine powered ,balsa wood , build it yourself replica of a WW2 Messerschmitt. We would work on it at night ( mostly him with me looking over his shoulder ) .
We finally got it all done and it was so cool, he wouldn’t try flying it. He didn’t want to crash his plane! :confused: Talk about a disappointed kid!

So I saved my allowance and I bought a plastic, ready made gas model plane. The first time I started it , the motor vibrated so bad it broke the motor mounts.

Ok, on to the next one.......The very first time I flew it , I nose dived it right into the ground shortly after take off because I over corrected. Smashed and ruined.

I give up!
D3833AC2-9158-4AFB-930C-8BBCE5ECE8AD.gif

Too bad because CL isn’t actually that difficult if you have your stuff together.
Learned this in a model mag as a kid... built a CL model minus the engine.... just lead in the nose for balance. Shorten the lines and learned to fly it by running in tight circles until it lifted off, then spun in one place using your body's turning force to drag it around in circles. Got competent at that and then built a powered model and learned to fly that. Got good enough to fly in some combat CL events. The trusty Cox .049 was prolly the first engine I ever learned to "tweak." :rolleyes:

Learned this in a model mag as a kid... built a CL model minus the engine.... just lead in the nose for balance. Shorten the lines and learned to fly it by running in tight circles until it lifted off, then spun in one place using your body's turning force to drag it around in circles. Got competent at that and then built a powered model and learned to fly that. Got good enough to fly in some combat CL events. The trusty Cox .049 was prolly the first engine I ever learned to "tweak." :rolleyes:

BINGO - that is ZACKLEY how I did it and ZACKLEY the engine I first learned to tweak.

one place i lived, there was an expansive flat park with nothing around and the rc guys had an area set up in it. there was a dozen or so of them there every sunday, and some sanctioned events. a developer built a bunch of houses about 1/4 mile from the park and they forced the rc guys to leave, citing some danger to the houses. the rc guys took back up at the landfill.:speechless: shortly after, a storm comes along, not even a tornado, and blows down about half the houses. :lmao:

So yeah the those plastic .049s like handing a kid a hand grenade! When I was about 10 Richie Rich next door had one in the basement. Think I borrowed it, got it to run, but never tried to fly it. A move and several years later a guy was control line flying out behind the high school, I was a moth to a candle. Great guy had a son of his own wasn't interested. He was going RC, building his own plane, heathkit radio control and servos, anyway he had been a control line stunt and combat flyer, gave me some of his old planes and motors that needed a bit of work. And i built several kits from the box using his bigger.19 then .40, something like that motors. Actually did fly them but would eventually start trying to stunt them (who me?) It seemed loops were my bugaboo. Could never get the second half tight enough to complete it before impact with the ground.
Flew this model he gave or sold me cheap, "quite a bit", after repairing the front of the fuselage ( gggGaryized of course.)
nobler.jpg

Good memories.

Back