1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Featured 50 Years of the Yamaha XS650 - Paris Ontario - June 2020

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MaxPete, Jun 27, 2019.

1. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty & Demi - I suggest but THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Howdy Sportsfans!

On a business trip to Hogtown (i.e. Toronto) this week, I took a small detour to have a look at the Paris, Ontario Fairgrounds - it was a cold and crappy day see attached photo...but it won't be in June!

Paris_Fairgrounds - Jan-27-2020.jpg

June is coming - will you be ready?

CVMG 2020 Rally - be there, or be square!

OHRider, GLJ, 59Tebo and 3 others like this.
  2. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty & Demi - I suggest but THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

...and I was asked to write a little note on the XS650 for the CVMG Newsletter so I am attching it here. Apologies for any errors you may find!

EDIT: the edited file is attached with the correct dates for the introduction of the Special model.

Pete

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    gggGary, GLJ, 59Tebo and 2 others like this.
  3. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi Pete,
    I read your piece in the CVMG newsletter. So our ride is a Horex Imperator knockoff?
    OTOH, I bought mine because I reckoned that it looked like a G9 Matchless.
    And as to the weather in Paris ON being better in summer, last time I was there it rained so hard it might have been Calcutta.

MaxPete, GLJ and gggGary like this.
  4. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

Oh, I don't know about that, Fred. I attended the Elmira Vintage Guitar Show (Woolrich Memorial Centre) last April (gonna be there again 4/26/2020!), staying with family in London (Ontario, of course, eh?), and we were grillin' in the back yard, no overcoats required...
    Then, again, London is farther south (latitude-wise) than I am, but whadyagonnado? The weather is the weather... :shrug:

Paul Sutton, MaxPete and gggGary like this.
  5. MaxPete

6. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Sprained Ankle Top Contributor

MaxPete, that really sums up the weather in Wales for the past 2 - 3 months. Forecast is for more wet stuff!

MaxPete, Jim, GLJ and 1 other person like this.
  7. MaxPete

Indeed - it looks pretty horrendous Paul!

8. Team Junk

Team Junk XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

One very small correction is the specials started in the 78 model year.

MaxPete likes this.
  9. MaxPete

Ahhh...- thanks!

I knew that somebody would catch any errors - and you are the first.

Pete

10. MaxPete

OK - all fixed up now. Thanks again Team Junk!

Pete

Attached Files:

88_pony, OHRider and TwoManyXS1Bs like this.
  11. 650trader

650trader XS650 Addict

MaxPete - Can you check if there is any rooms near.
    Stratford is usually full up due to it's shakespeare festival and this drives up prices
    for miles around to absurd levels.

12. MaxPete

Your best bet is to just go on the web - and Paris is pretty far away from Stratford. I suspect you might be better off checking in Brantford or even Hamilton.

I am going to camp as it is included in the price of admission.

88_pony likes this.
  13. Team Junk

Team Junk XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I think Pete's write up is a good description of the bikes history. Would be good to put it on the home page for those new to the XS650.

BTW disk rear 78 and later special.

Jack

TwoManyXS1Bs likes this.
  14. OHRider

OHRider XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

Check the Davison Motel in Paris if they still have rooms. That where I am staying.

MaxPete likes this.
  15. Grimly

Grimly XS650 Addict

Ireland
    If it weren't an ocean and half a continent away, I'd be there.

Give an asshole a uniform, and all you have is a uniformed asshole.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    GLJ, 88_pony and MaxPete like this.
  16. MaxPete

Indeed - and they exist everywhere.

17. 650Skull

650Skull SSSSSSSSSlither Top Contributor

Finally got round to reading the PDF..............the Standard models in Europe and Japan were in production till 81-82 and, as the Canadian models were sold, later but were left overs like the 74 Canadian heritage Special

MaxPete and GLJ like this.
  18. Going to try and make it out this year with Bella. Looking forward to it.

GLJ and MaxPete like this.
  19. 88_pony

88_pony XS650 Enthusiast

canada
    Great write up Maxpete! always refreshing to read to read someones experience/ passion for the automotive hobby! Keep up the good work, I hope to be at the show to see the community as a whole.

- Cheers

MaxPete likes this.
  20. JesseeS

JesseeS XS650 Addict

I’d love to go to this. 8 hours isn’t too bad of a ride, especially in the car. Haven’t been to Canada since I was 14, turning 30 this June so it’s a bit overdue. Although, one of those dates is the fiancés birthday, so we will see how this plays out haha

MaxPete likes this.