Drive Chain

Sillywhitekid

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody recommend some good brands for chains? I'm probably going to go with a 120 or 130 link drive chain.

- theres a hell of a difference in length between 120 and 130 links..do you mean 520..5/8 x 1/4 or 530..5/8 x 3/16 type chains

No...I meant 120 or a 130 link chain, I know there is a significant difference in length, I just haven't actually measured the length of what I am going to need yet. I'm thinking it will probably be 120 due to the 4" stretch in the hardtail but like I said, haven't gotten to the measuring yet.
The purpose of the post was to see if there were any brands in particular to stay away from.

Last edited:
- ah-so...a 4in extension will need 8in more chain @ 5/8 per link...64/8/5/8...13 extra links depending on whether you change your sprocket sizes too

And stock they are 104 links correct??? So 4 inches of extension means you'll only need the 120? I'm pretty sure I bought a 130 for my +4" swingarm, and after it was all said and done, I could have used a 120 (I think.... was a few years ago).

- yep...stock
98 with 17-34...XS1-TX650​
104 with 17-33 and 17-34....TX650A on​

- ultimately it will depend whether youve changed from these or not

So when you "cut" the links are you actually cutting the plates or are just driving out the pins?

Next question: What do people prefer, riveting the master link or a clip for the master link?

- better to press the pins out...pays to grind them flat first-dont have to but it helps make your chain breaker last longer

- definitely riveting

Yep, grind first then push the pin out the other side with a hammer and drift if you don't have a chain breaker. You don't actually need to cut the plates.

Not trying to hijack this thread but as I am looking at swapping sprockets and a new chain I am wondering about chain costs. On mikesxs site I see he has the Izumi High Tensile Heavy Duty chain (non o ring type) for about half the cost of the o ring type.Would a guy get twice the wear or what is the ultimate benefits? Just got done reading this.
http://www.quality-cycle.com/truth_about_motorcycle_chains.htm

Last edited:
chains and cheap shouldn't be used in the same sentence. i wish i still had the picture of my buddies "china" chain sitting inside his cbr600 motor (broke and blew a hole into his case at 70mph). Not saying you need to buy a o'ring, but just dont skimp on chains.

I bought the DID heavy duty 530 chain listed in the article for this bobber project on e&ay for a third of what it costs elsewhere....I think itll be fine for the bit of skooting around town and to work.....just use pj1 and youll be fine..:)

I pretty much just use Renthal or RK on any of my projects, wether it be motocross or road.

Finally broke down and bought a DID Professional o-ring chain early last spring........... only adjusted it a 1/4 turn last year after a lot of miles..........

xsjohn

Back