533 barrels 447 con rods - how to make it work?

13choppers

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
hi there,
ive just bought on ebay 533 barrels but cant find crankshaft with same rods.
i found lots of 447 con rods. how to make it work? is it possible any way?

They were only fitted to motors sold in Europe. Not all European motors had them.

You don't explain your situation very well. If you have 533 barrels they should bolt straight onto a 447 head and bottom end. You could get hold of Heiden Tuning because they sell 533 rebuilt cranks if you have an arm and leg to spare. It is not the size of the pistons that is different, it is where the gudgeon pin hole is on the piston as the 533 con-rod is longer than the 447

Attachments

• 3_stock_rods.jpg
    3_stock_rods.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
If you are in the USA the only people i would use is FALCON in FL They build race cranks and do repairs. Go onto DRAGBIKE.com web site for number

The 533 cylinders will work just fine with a set of 447 rods as long as you use the 447 pistons. The cylinder deck heights are the same. The 533 rods are longer , the pistons are shorter. The overall length of the 533 rods and pistons are the same as the 447 rods and pistons.
Not to confuse you more but the 256 rods are even longer than the 533 rods, the pistons even shorter. They still have the same overall length. Same deck height.
In 650skulls pic the top rod is the 447, the center is a 533, the bottom is the 256. The pistons will vary in height the same amounts as the rods.
Leo

Like so I'm thinking .....

Last edited:
Like so I'm thinking .....

650Rods.jpg
The 533 cylinders will work just fine with a set of 447 rods as long as you use the 447 pistons. The cylinder deck heights are the same. The 533 rods are longer , the pistons are shorter. The overall length of the 533 rods and pistons are the same as the 447 rods and pistons.
Not to confuse you more but the 256 rods are even longer than the 533 rods, the pistons even shorter. They still have the same overall length. Same deck height.
In 650skulls pic the top rod is the 447, the center is a 533, the bottom is the 256. The pistons will vary in height the same amounts as the rods.
Leo

533 are the longest and dont have slotted big ends

Last edited:
The 256 are the longest. In the 447 and 533 engines oil is sprayed on the rod big ends from an oil gallery across the front of the engine. The slots in the rod big end let the oil get into the bearings.
On the 256 engines the flywheel have a scoop built into them that pick up oil as the crank turns and pushes oil into the bearings, Thus no slot needed.
Leo

The 256 are the longest. In the 447 and 533 engines oil is sprayed on the rod big ends from an oil gallery across the front of the engine. The slots in the rod big end let the oil get into the bearings.
On the 256 engines the flywheel have a scoop built into them that pick up oil as the crank turns and pushes oil into the bearings, Thus no slot needed.
Leo
The 447 rod length is 130mm,the 256 rod length is 136mm and the 533 rod length is 140 and the honda 500 rod length is 144mm.

:umm:

Leo

:shrug:

I was under the same assumption:
256= 135mm
447= 130mm
533= 140mm
Using a custom rod of 140mm, (same as 533) you could use 533 pistons. I was told this by Heiden when I emailed him about pistons.

533 rods have a larger big end than 256 and 447, (they share the same size bearings), The bottom rod in the picture above clearly has a larger big end.

Back