Oil Coolers

4753_1181426734223_1184830681_30557.jpg

- personally, i dont think this is optimal as it blocks air flow to the head

- also, inlet and outlet need to be pointed up so the cooler doesnt drain when the motor isnt running

Beginning to think I wasted my time on that subject on 650 rider......should be in front of the front engine mount........AND the "cylinders are where the unwanted heat is and no cooler will effect that "what so ever".......sorry.......but there are ways to get that problem from 270 degrees to 230 with some thought and actions.....I thought I was retired.......

xsjohn

Well I actually just put an oil cooler on mine only b/c of the change of filter. Since the older type of filter is hard to come by and a pain in the butt. Also I just realized that I don't really have a pic of it.. It's this one at Mikes though.

15-6504.jpg

4753_1181426734223_1184830681_30557.jpg

- personally, i dont think this is optimal as it blocks air flow to the head

- also, inlet and outlet need to be pointed up so the cooler doesnt drain when the motor isnt running

Yes a good example of what not to do when installing an oil cooler :eek:

You didn't waste your time, John, I am in the middle of refitting an oil cooler from an 850 and it's not only functional, but fun to do. Thanks for sharing your experience and those needles.

Thanks for the kind word.....needed that....I'm all snowed in here in NC.........and have now idea what to do with myself........I did live in NFLD for 3 years but now I can't relate to all the snow you must have.....I guess you don't tell anyone you are putting a cooler on your bike in the middle of the winter ah.........

I put one on my racer following John's recommendations, also am using the MikesXS finned oil filter. It primarily cools the head, but that's where my biggest investment is.

Attachments

• Coolers.jpg
    Coolers.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 2,676
  • Rside.jpg
    Rside.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,936
Directing the air makes a "big" improvement in reducing cylinder temperatures the summer.........you guys that like to design might think of incorporating some of these or the like into your mods.....(make from stiff carboard first to get the look)....Again the one under the headlight works great too......bet you can knock 20 degrees or more off the highway temperatures of the head and cylnders......cylinder heat is the bummer and again an oil cooler does absolutely nothing in reducing cylinder temps......and I think high cylinder temperatures are the most damaging to longivity and when they get hot you loose power and efficency......sorry for the crummy pictures.....will take some more this summer if you want.............xsjohn

Attachments

• Air Directors.jpg
    Air Directors.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,877
A remote oil filter,? InXS had to remove the filter in the side cover for the oil cooler.

- yes, its a remote oil filter using an auto cartridge on the push side of the pump-this is a good idea, better than like on my bike, an auto cartridge sited where the original sump filter is on the suction side of the pump

- no, its not my bike, rather a photo i took at a meet in the netherlands to show a prime example of what not to do

The oil filter / cooler from XSDirect arrived today...amazing... less than a week from Toronto to Winnipeg !!!! (extra quick dog sled)

Also received the Primary filter...much stronger looking than the factory unit and less than half the cost.

Let the farkling begin....

Nice touch !

Hey do you use gasket sealer on the replacement gaskets required for the oil pan and the oil pump filter ?

Lots of first time questions

- i make sure both surfaces are clean and simply torque the pan up evenly and slowly in small increments...i know some who use gasket cement on the pan side of the gasket so it comes off with the pan...now, i have a spin on filter sitting in the middle of the pan so i have no need to remove it any more

Back