And their music....it just sounds like noise!
AA1DA2F9-3957-4AAC-99BA-4F41F07F98B3.jpeg

Sorry, that was my dads voice in my head. :D

And their music....it just sounds like noise!
View attachment 174188

speaking of music...

Give me a minuet to check my birth certificate to see if I resemble that remark. :whistle:

Will your musicians be performing said minuet on the piano or as a chamber quartet?

As dances and musical interludes go, I prefer the Scherzo myself...

OK anyway - as far as the process of becoming a curmudgeon, I am only trying to emulate @Downeaster's strong mustache game as a logical next step.

IMG_2515.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2515.jpeg
    IMG_2515.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 105
While taking about teachers and spelling I got to thinking about something my mother told us.

Seems she had a teacher in school, don't recall if it was the lower grade or high school but it had to be some time from about the mid 30's to mid 40's. That she had a teacher who would accept some spellings like nite for night and maybe even rite for write, seems like there might have been a couple other that I can't recall right now.

I know this is all tongue-in-cheek, but it's a subject that annoys me. One of many, admittedly.

I'm also a bit of an elitist about spelling. When I'm looking for information or advice on a subject, responses that lack punctuation and/or spelling tend to get glossed over. I realize there's not necessarily a link between poor writing and knowing what you're talking about, but it's an almost subconscious prejudice on my part.
HELL VES!!!

Now Bob, just see what you started with a single full stop!

I'm enjoying this thread. Have to admit that Mrs is fed up with me correcting the grammar when we're listening to the news. But why should we put up with people in senior positions such as Government ministers who use the plural form of a verb when the subject of the sentence is singular?

And I'm guilty of commenting too often on ridiculous fads such as always starting the answer to a question with the word "So, ". Or pointing out that the useful word anticipate is hardly ever used correctly these days - it does not mean expect.

There probably is a serious point about loss of clear communication when people routinely use words in a wrong sense or muddle the grammar to the point that you have to make a guess about what they probably meant to say. In debates on this very point, I often say that used properly language is the sharpest tool we possess and careless use blunts it.

There probably is a serious point about loss of clear communication when people routinely use words in a wrong sense or muddle the grammar to the point that you have to make a guess about what they probably meant to say.

Now Raymond - you know the rules young man: no politics....

Hehehehe ;)

Now Raymond - you know the rules young man: no politics....

Hehehehe ;)

Woz that a political point? Oh, I see - perhaps you are suggesting I meant that politicians deliberately use words in a wrong sense or muddle the grammar?

Well, I suppose that is something they might be accused off. Let's just say it applies to the whole breed, not just one side. And although politicians often set out to mislead us, no politician is ever guilty of telling a lie.

Just as XS650s never vibrate . . .

Back to the title of this thread...

The fourth grade class had just started for the school year and the teacher said that each student would come to the front of the class, draw something about their summer and the class would guess it.

Little Mary was first and drew a wonderful fairyland castle. The class guess she went to Disney and was right.

little Mark went up and drew a pretty good picture of a horse. The class guess he had gone to a dude ranch. They were right.

When little Johnny's turn came around, the teacher was a bit anxious. He drew a single dot on the board. No matter what the class guessed, they could not figure it out. Finally, the teacher asked what it was. Little Johnny said, "Dang if I know. But when my older sister missed two of them, all heck broke out at home".

While taking about teachers and spelling I got to thinking about something my mother told us.
Seems she had a teacher in school, don't recall if it was the lower grade or high school but it had to be some time from about the mid 30's to mid 40's. That she had a teacher who would accept some spellings like nite for night and maybe even rite for write, seems like there might have been a couple other that I can't recall right now.
Hi Ken,
rite, right and wright all sound the same and you must deduce which one is meant from context.
I reckon that alike-sounding words with different meanings are rare in French because that language is like a hardwood for making musical instruments and are common in English because that language is laminated from many others like plywood and like plywood, it holds the world together.

- - - When little Johnny's turn came around, the teacher was a bit anxious. He drew a single dot on the board. No matter what the class guessed, they could not figure it out. Finally, the teacher asked what it was. Little Johnny said, "Dang if I know. But when my older sister missed two of them, all heck broke out at home".

Hi Boog,
young friend did her teacher's exchange year in the UK.
Teaching 6th form (Grade 12) grammar, all the girls were blushing and all the boys were sniggering.
After class the headmaster told her "Over here we call them full stops."

Back