6-Plate to 7-plate stock clutch swap?

VENMUS

Fabricator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I have two engines in the shop, one that is going into my current build, and it has a 6-plate clutch in it. My spare engine has a 7-plate clutch inside. Can these be swapped directly with no supporting mods needed?

I have a set of stronger (XS Performance) clutch springs and the socket-cap bolts and sleeves from Mikes. I also have the one piece pushrod, and am I correct that the one piece pushrod still requires ONE of the two internal ball bearings be left in? Not including the worm gear in the side cover, there is two pushrods and two bearings...I remember reading that to convert to the 1-piece, you only remove the outer rod, first bearing, and the inner rod. (leaving the innermost bearing in the engine). Is that correct?

Logan

Last edited:
The 6 plate clutch is actually the better unit. It has a dampened steel plate at the bottom of the stack which smooths engagement and is easier on those coil springs on the back of the outer hub. But yes, the two styles will swap. You would need to swap the inner basket as well.

Yes, leave the inner-most ball in place. Remove the outer and inner rod plus the ball between them. Save the ball as a spare. It's the same size as the one in the worm gear which can fall out and get lost.

Back