Moabiker's Tall Tales

Dogs like the snow, of course...
IMG_20181202_112330.jpg
IMG_20181202_113709.jpg
IMG_20181202_115403.jpg

...but street bike not looking too happy...it was sunny and warm yesterday...ya ride it tomorrow to under roof spot till snow melts...

Last edited:
Hi Moabite,
if your bikes are equated to appropriate critters, the Cub is a sturdy Burro that'll survive all winter outside.
OTOH, the street bike is a delicate race horse that really needs to be stabled, not left out in the snow.
...no coddling for this old desert sled...and in about 15 days owner of 80xs650, 76 and 80cb750's that i fix makes his way to Moab. Might have to see how these bikes work as snowmobiles too before he gets back!!!

Last edited:
...no coddling for this old desert sled...and in about 15 days owner of 80xs650, 76 and 80cb750's that i fix makes his way to Moab. Might have to see how these bikes work as snowmobiles too before he gets back!!!

Hi Moabite,
like riding on dirt or on gravel, bikes work best on snow if you hang a sidecar on 'em.
Alas that Saskatchewan's snow riding season is so short.
Just a week or so between first snowfall and when it gets too cold for the bike to start.

One year i ran into about 25 guys on urals...the guy i help make bikes for would love to get nice sidecar setup on bike out here and i would have a blast testing em out here...very good idea!!! Not sure where to start with sidecar..urals seem primitive...what a good base for a good road setup? Just notice you have one on xs1100....i bet that super nice...why would you put that on 650 instead? 1100 smooth and powerful. Maybe on 650 more character?

Last edited:
One year i ran into about 25 guys on urals...the guy i help make bikes for would love to get nice sidecar setup on bike out here and i would have a blast testing em out here...very good idea!!! Not sure where to start with sidecar..urals seem primitive...what a good base for a good road setup? Just notice you have one on xs1100....i bet that super nice...why would you put that on 650 instead? 1100 smooth and powerful. Maybe on 650 more character?

Hi Moabite,
Saskatoon's Ural dealer is a fellow CVMG member and brought a new Ural rig to a club coffee night to show it off.
Modern Urals are purpose-built to look all 1950s primitive but that's a styling thing.
Inside they're real up-to-date with anti-lock brakes,fuel injectors faked up to look like carburettors and they are even reliable.
It's sidecars that are primitive. A good idea back in the pre-WW1 days when bikes were actually more reliable than cars.
A good road set-up? Depends on the road, don't it?
For your desert dirt trails I'd suggest a 350 or 500 dual purpose single with a high ground clearance sidecar with a passenger grab-rail.
Generally, the further and faster you want to ride, the more powerful and sleeker the bike and the more comfortable the sidecar need to be.
But why take my American Spirit sidecar off my XS11 and put it back onto my XS650 where it used to be?
Now that I'm 81 years old I've given up on riding long distance.
If it's more than 100K to a bike meet I trailer the rig there, take my wife along for company and to share the driving and we stay in hotels.
The XS650 rig is a lot sweeter to ride in town, it's 17/36 sprockets let me use all 5 gears at city speeds and let the rig accelerate as needed.
OTOH the XS11 is a shaftie so the ratios are fixed and it's bit of a swine to shift between 1st , 2nd and 3rd which are all the gears that are useable in town. 4th, 5th and all that awesome power are just going to waste.

Last edited:
81 and still out there riding...i hope i can be like you as i can feel your positive enthusiasm and energy...sidecar a great way to spend time out and keep me out on bike as i get older, and seems very fun and interesting too...i hope guy i build bikes for reads your post and decides time for new project..so special invitation for you and lakeview and other sidecar lovers, as well as all the fantastic XS peeps here that post on this site that have such passion for life...it would be my honor to meet all of you in person....come out here sometime...ride and share stories...anyhow time to....search internet and research sidecars more!!!

Last edited:
Eh, you shouldn't need much to get the car started. :laugh: Is that a Ford Cortina?...:umm:
Fairlane......one day you guys will see all the hot rods here...none mine
And can not let flat tire slow me down...wheelie time...
IMG_20181208_070419.jpg

Last edited:
Special all day riding today...got the 300th day riding in this year...rode hard to get to this basically insignificant number...and gonna ride hard today...first up is dog's time before sunrise...
IMG_20181208_072955.jpg
IMG_20181208_073349.jpg
IMG_20181208_072212.jpg
IMG_20181208_073728.jpg

Back