650B doesn't want to travel; e-starter locked, makes weird noise.....

jpdevol

Hacker of Frames,Wires and other things
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
So as it often happens when getting ready for a trip, the new-to-me XS650B has been full of surprises. Thought I had it all sorted and did a 30mi shakedown run - no worries other than it sounds like a con rod little end is a bit "loose".

I go to start it to load on the trailer for Ozarks and, out-of-the-blue, the electric starter locks-up and when kicking or rolling with the rotor nut (either direction) it rolls, but makes a strange Rrr-Rrrr grinding noise (suspect gear #4 engagement??).

I ain't givin' up yet and about to pull the R side case to investigate.............

Anybody heard such a noise or experienced such weird happenings?

Maybe your 75 came with the same inserts mine did….. 68382542560__DF1F8AF4-2154-4DCF-9C03-95D8D35A5D08.jpeg

Maybe your 75 came with the same inserts mine did…..View attachment 241932
LOL...it was similar....

So the first finding inside the clutch cover was the "starter gear 3" was jammed and had gouged into the case just ahead:umm:
20230502_170314.jpg

So after removing that gear - needed a puller - the whole mess flew apart and I got a glimpse of the compression spring that appeared to be between gear 3 and gear 4! Don't know how it even worked that way , but it did.

Smoothed the damage, reassembled and all works as intended
20230502_171524.jpg

On the floor below this mess was an odd object - I don't recognize it - that must have come out when the starter gear assy. flew apart.
20230502_181718.jpg

It's spring metal (all accounted for as I can tell) and the fk'dup bolt for reference is the 8mm kicker bolt.

The bike's going to Ozarks; wish me luck;):laugh2:

Somebody probably çrushed the hairpin bend of the spring in the vice, to increase the pressure on the gear and the spring eventually broke.. Not a good fix that one, there is a better fix, aside from buying a new spring and gear.

That piece of spring may be from one of the damper springs on the back of the clutch hub. They are known to break.
5T, you may be right; it's about the right diameter wire. Of course, in my haste, I glanced but didn't really look closely at the damper springs. I mean, the damn thing was supposed to already be loaded on the trailer.

It's big enough wire to also be the kicker torsion spring, but it was intact. It's a really tight coil almost full circle, been chewed on some, but that must be the original shape (not bent):shrug:

That motor actually needs a full rebuild at some point in the future, but I'm a keeping fingers crossed in the short term:laugh2:

Back