1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

650GTS - Nasty Bobber Build

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 650gts, Feb 11, 2020.

1. 650gts

650gts XS650 Member

I have a 78 that I'm about to start disassembling. I'm going to hardtail it with a Voodoo MK21.
    I plan to leave the engine in while I tack weld the hardtail into place.

Is there any particular order that I should follow while taking apart down to the frame?
    Just take pics and bag and label everything?

I also plan to start a build thread here to keep track of things.
    Thanks.
    :thumbsup:

halfmile, Jim and 650Burger like this.
  2. 650Burger

650Burger XS650 Enthusiast

NYC
    Both the clymer and the haynes manual have pretty good step-by-step disassembly guides.
    Plastic baggies are an absolute must, bag everything!

Excited to see what your bike will look like. Post some before pictures!

OHRider, halfmile and Jim like this.
  3. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

No particular order... whatever works best for you and what you have to work with. You can edit the title of this thread and make it your build thread.
    Welcome to the forum and yes.... we like pictures here... lots of pics. :D

halfmile and 650Burger like this.
  4. halfmile

halfmile XS Builder XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

kansas
    Be sure to remove anything electrical from the frame and the engine. If your using the engine to keep the center tube and all the mounts in line that`s understandable but it`s never a good idea to weld with the engine in the frame. MIG or TIG?? Do you have access to a mock up engine? VooDoo is neat stuff. Good luck with your build.:thumbsup:

JRay77, 650Burger and Jim like this.
  5. 650gts

650gts XS650 Member

Hmm good point. I was going to keep the motor in to keep things straight.
    MIG the tacks in then pull the motor and bring it to a pro to TIG.

6. OHRider

OHRider XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

Bag and tag everything. Lots of photos.

Jim likes this.
  7. Beags64

Beags64 XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Michigan
    Still got the jig I made up when I did my "surgery". Cover shipping and it's yours...with one caveat - pass it on to someone else if they need it. We'll just add it to the "Floating Tools" group. 100_0526.JPG DSCN0987.JPG

8. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

You're a good man Beags... no matter what Gary sez about you.... :sneaky: :D

9. Beags64

Michigan
    Don't care if they talk BAD about me...at least they're talkin' about me!:smoke:

10. 650gts

650gts XS650 Member

Oh hell yes! I'll take that. Thanks.
    I'll PM you.

gggGary likes this.
  11. JRay77

JRay77 XS650 Addict

I just did a TC Bros hardtail (got it cheap) I really like the voodoo stuff. Maybe next? Removed all electrical. Left the motor in while I chopped. I made a spacer to keep the axle space right. 8 1/2" on the hardtail. I tacked everything really well. Hardtail to frame. I only have a mig welder. Then removed the motor. I took the sidecover off the left side. I kept the clutch side on. Didn't want to possibly damage the clutch basket. Took out top motor mounts. Took out the backbone motor mount plates. I Layed the bike down on cardboard with stator side down. Took out the remaining mounting bolts. Wiggled the engine free from the frame. If you can get the exhaust studs out before all this...hell yeah. My stator and rotor were junk too. If yours are not, maybe consider another route, I've done it this way about a dozen times now. Haha. Maybe I should read the manual? That'd be to easy.... Good luck, have fun and look fed to seeing your project! Oh yeah, pipe insulation after its painted during the assembly process. Saves from a few scratches.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020 at 6:43 PM
    gggGary likes this.
  12. Beags64

Michigan