'71 xs1b conversion to cafe

Gotcha, Steve. Went to the hardware store looking for one but they didn't have it, so I just grabbed a regular bathtub plug, inverted it and used it to seal the bearing. Seemed to have done a good job.

Was going to go get the cases powerwashed when someone suggested to me the brilliant idea of taking it to the local DIY carwash. Was able to soap the cases up, rinse it out and blow it out for a whopping $4.00.

C39E9536-F1C7-4B57-A0F0-B5178510D237_zpsnz3xnktz.jpg

Next stop, vaporblasting.

Hi DQG,
you sure about the vapor blasting?
I guess it depends on what you intend for the bike when it's running again.
If you just want a nice bike to ride, I'd say those cases are already clean enough.
Vapor blasting leaves a micro-blasted finish that's a really good dirt magnet.
Mind you, clearcoat will also stick to it nicely.

Hi Fred,

I suppose there are benefits and disadvantages to everything and I've been trying to read up on options for the engine, paint, leave bare, clear, or PC.

The more I read, the more disagreement there seems to be. :doh:

At this point, I'm pretty much leaning towards vapor blasting the cases and polishing the covers. I don't mind if they become a dirt magnet. Old bikes are labor-intensive anyway and I enjoy the labor. It's relaxing for me.

Hard to know with so many different opinions.

I am going to try a guy who does wet blasting and apparently it is different to Vapor blasting in that there is no oxidizing after the process. Cost about $500 to do an engine though.

http://www.wetblasting.net/

I have talked to the guy, He's the type that will spend the time with you and feels comfortable.

Not suggesting you send stuff over here :yikes: :laugh:

Hard to know with so many different opinions.

I am going to try a guy who does wet blasting and apparently it is different to Vapor blasting in that there is no oxidizing after the process. Cost about $500 to do an engine though.

http://www.wetblasting.net/

I have talked to the guy, He's the type that will spend the time with you and feels comfortable.

Not suggesting you send stuff over here :yikes: :laugh:

Funny, Skull. :banghead:

But that had me intrigued so I looked up wet blasting (I'm from Boston). Doesn't look like there's anything like that around here but I'll keep looking/asking.

This is literally the last thing I"m down to, in terms of taking things apart and I'm having a hell of a time- the brake shoe plate is possessed.

First, the bushing will absolutely not come out of the brake shoe plate. It's a bushing according to the exploded diagram in the service manual, but is it screwed in? I've tried improvised tools- a metal strip to fit into the notches but all I did was twist the metal. Tried soaking it in PB blaster for a few days.... nada

CF55A460-1F92-4542-B033-1FDD5F2CF925_zpsihozgj7u.jpg

Also managed to snap off two of the screws that hold the dust plate cover in, but not complaining- if a screw had to snap off somewhere, might as well be here.

2EDBE149-E058-4E61-9C08-A44F12C5E493_zpsfxb6gred.jpg

Here's what I'm thinking- I just asked myself, does the meter gear really have to come out? I mean it's just for the speedometer cable. Could I just cover it up on the outside side (while it's vapor-blasted and then polished), wash out the grease on the inside (below pic) and put in new grease right away?

2BD43A7B-90C6-4547-A348-527148756C80_zps26rdq88a.jpg

And as far as the dust cover plate- is it really critical to put back in? I can understand debris getting in there and getting embedded in the brake shoes, but leaving it open would allow the shoe to cool off a lot quicker. What if I put in wire screening on the inside?

...First, the bushing will absolutely not come out of the brake shoe plate. It's a bushing according to the exploded diagram in the service manual, but is it screwed in? I've tried improvised tools- a metal strip to fit into the notches but all I did was twist the metal. Tried soaking it in PB blaster for a few days.... nada ...

Here's an old thread:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26852

... Also managed to snap off two of the screws that hold the dust plate cover in, but not complaining- if a screw had to snap off somewhere, might as well be here...

Those can be drilled and extracted...

Hi Steve, that thread is actually where I got the idea to fashion the metal strip with prongs to fit into those notches but all I did was twist it. That bushing is stuck in there pretty good.

Which is why I'm asking myself if it really has to come out.

Thanks, no I didn't fall off the face of the Earth but the space I was rebuilding my xs1b in, did.

Under threat of eviction, I have been forced to box up everything until I can find another space to work in, that's off-property. I dream of the day when I own a garage.

Thanks.. That experience left such a bad taste in my mouth I didn't want anything to do with bikes for a while. Trying to rediscover my passion for it but still need space that's within reasonable distance.

Too bad about your shop situation. I've read through the whole thread. I have an XS1B that I'm getting ready to cafe as well. Been learning a lot from your experience. Hope you get back to it soon.

Me too, if I ever find the space for it and another 650 I'm interested in picking up.

Meanwhile, if you start your thread, I'll definitely follow it. Is your xs1b a basket case? Those are so hard to find.

I have to snap a few pics and then i'll start a thread. Mine isn't a basket, just kinda rough. It's a fairly complete bike that wasn't running. Has about 7400 miles on the clock but the odometer hadn't worked in a while. The previous owner thinks there was a little over 10k on it. I picked it up for about $400 a couple of years ago. It's been in my shed waiting in line behind some other projects. I'm going to try and get it done this winter for an online build-off on www.thechopperunderground.com

Back